Well water filter technologies

Users who are viewing this thread

Mountain Oyster

Reaction score
My existing well water filter system is kaput. Rather than just replace it as-is I did a little research and found that there are options. I haven't found good discussion of the difference between options -- rather every site is just selling what they have, ignoring that any other technology exists. I trust that the good folks here can give me some good advice! It's been very hard to get someone out to the house (either too much work or too incompetent), so this may end up as DIY. I have a separate drinking water system except for brushing teeth.

My current setup is

well > storage tank > pressure tanks > filter-ag > greensands > softener > (filtered) storage tank > post filter

there's an ozone (triple-o) system in the 2nd storage tank.

there's no UV or carbon filter. (should I add these?)

Selected lab test results are:

ph7.8
TDS (mg/L)647
turbidity1.8
Hardness (Total) (mg/L)69.83
Hardness (gpg)4.09
Manganese (mg/L)0.027 (<SLR)
IronNot Detected
Sulfate (mg/L)88.2 (<SLR)

No biologic material found

The Mn is below "Simple Lab Recommendation" so I suppose I could just ignore? However I do get Mn sludge over time.

Working backwards:

- I think the hardness fluctuates because at times I do get deposits on fixtures. My plan is to monitor and use the softener only as needed.
- I understand the softener can remove Manganese but only under certain conditions which these aren't. Namely pH. (?)

- For the Mn filter I believe that's the greensands. I'm reading alternative is Chlorine injection or Peroxide injection. What are the tradeoffs amongst these techs and maybe should I just ignore it altogether given the low level?

- For the sediment filter I believe that't the filter-ag. The only tech I see advertised is spin down filter. Might I prefer that?

Lastly the well output isn't great. It's painful to lose any water to backwash. Honestly given these numbers I'm thinking just use it unfiltered. I only see the sludge in the toilet tank so just clean that occasionally and I'm good? (they also have tank fill valves that agitate the tank so as to prevent such accumulation.)

Thanks for your attention and expertise!

Reach4

Reaction score
If that is a water test of your raw water from the well, the filtering system you describe would be way overkill.

How deep is your well?

Why do you have a filtered storage tank? I can imagine that your well cannot deliver enough water without it. If it is a fire fighting water requirement, that water does not need all of that filtering.

Filter AG would be for removal of sediment, so you might need that.

Mountain Oyster

Reaction score
I don't know the depth but it's not that deep. I am considering having it dug deeper.

Fire requirements is one reason I need the two tanks, but I supposed they could both be upstream of the filters? I think the reason it is split is so that the ozone hits the filtered water but I don't know. The system predates my ownership.

For the filter-ag, should I keep that or should I maybe use a spin down filter?

Reach4

Reaction score
If you can pull the house water directly from the well, you would not need a pressure pump. But that means your well would have to have enough water that you could backwash the softener -- assuming you keep the softener in action. The main advantage of the softener to you is that it removes manganese... And greensand will also remove sediment that is big enough... So somehow your water treatment system grew excessively IMO.

If the well would supply the house and any backwashing, you would just fill the fire-fighting tanks, The fire department can pump from that if needed.

Whether a cartridge filter or two could do all of your filtering, I don't know. I am not a pro. You already have a bunch of stuff.

RO? I would think only if you have something that the water test did not test for, such as insecticides and chemical fertilizers. UV? I would sanitize the well and plumbing, and not do UV. But others would prefer UV.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks