Well pumping fine grey sand

Users who are viewing this thread

rigid

Reaction score
Hello all, I am having some issues with my 6" drilled well. It has started pumping a fine gray sand that is visible and gritty when it come out the tap. The well is about 16 years old, I have had this happen once before about 2 years ago and I had a pump guy come out and we raised the pump 5-6ft and ran the hose for a few hours and things seemed to clear up. I am also unsure whether my iron filter has been masking the problem over the years. for the first 10 years I had a 2 tank gravel system that seemed to work well. I replaced it with a green sand/potassium permanganate filter and it hasn't performed as well. Regardless this time my iron filter seems to be plugged with sand beyond repair and I have had to bypass it as the tap just runs dry when I try to use it even after multiple recharges.

To make matters worse I have no information from the well driller, like the logs etc. They never registered it and won't return my calls even though they are still in business. I know it's about 150ft deep and the pump was originally set at 100ft and now is about 94ft. I am in Ontario, Canada and it seems that the local well drillers here just want to drill a new well, none of them have any solutions. When I look online all of the US based posts talk about Lakos SubKs, Jaswell seals, 4" Liners etc. so it seems the well drillers here are not interested in solving the problem just drilling another and what is to say I won't have the same problem? Is this well just built incorrectly that's what everyone seems to say and I get sighs when I mention the name of the company that did it so that is not reassuring.

My question is if I can get my hands on a Lakos SubK, would this potentially solve my problem? One of the local drillers told me that raising the pump won't help and that the sand it too fine to be filtered out by something like the SubK (even though he doesn't ever use them). I would have to order it online somewhere and get it shipped here as the two companies Lakos provided to me as local retailer both claim not to sell their products. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Reach4

Reaction score
In addition to whatever else you do, I think you should have a sediment filter after the iron filter. If you get the well pumping cleaner water, you still would like to have a filter.

I am not a pro, but to continue masking the sand pumping, think I would start with Lakos Twist 2 Clean (Twist II Clean) for the bigger stuff, and a Pentek Big Blue housing that accepts 4.5x20 inch elements. You can put in a Pentek DGD-5005-20 maybe. I have one of those followed by a Pentek WP1BB20P. For me it is overkill, but I go well over a year on the elements. I had bought my filter housings before deciding to get my backwashing filter. Very little is left for my Big Blues after my backwashing filter. The Twist 2 Clean would become superfluous after the well is fixed, I would hope.

The topside filtering is not going to help the pump dealing with the sand.

Another (easy) project is to flush the water heater after you get your extra filtering in place.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If the sand will quickly settle to the bottom of a glass a sand "separator" like the Lakos SubK will work. If the sand does not settle quickly the Twist 2 Clean or something with a screen or cartridge is best.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
I did one similar to this 2 weeks ago but the filter was getting completely plugged.

The well was 175' and made 15 gpm. We ran the camera down to 91' where we could see the water had a smokey haze to it.
We pulled the pump back to 80', ran it for a while and it cleared right up. The owner called last week to report that the water was still clear.

My advise is to find someone with a camera and do a downhole camera survey to see if you can find where the sediment is coming in, then set the pump above that zone.

rigid

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses, I finally managed to get a hold of the well driller who has agreed to come out and look at it as well as look back in to his records for the well logs. So will see what happens before I start spending my own money on this..

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks