Well pressure switch with/without automatic cutoff?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rob8888

Reaction score
Hi all,

Well water system was stable until we lost power. We are renting on Airbnb and it's a hassle to manually re pressurize the system every time this was to happen. I currently use a pressure switch with low pressure cut of lever.

I was told by a friend that I should install a pressure switch without the low pressure cut off lever as then the pressure would reset itself after power returned and pump automatically kicked in.

Does anyone have any input as to how to best fix this problem? Should I install a new pressure switch? Please let me know the make and type if possible.

Thanks in advance.

Rob

Bannerman

Reaction score
Not certain what you are referring to by "re pressurize the system"?

If your pump is submersible (down within the well casing), it will immediately repressurize the piping and pressure tank once the pump operation is restored.

If your pump is an above ground jet pump which obtains water from a drilled well, there should be a foot valve at the bottom of the suction pipe which will prevent the pump from loosing prime. If a jet pump is drawing water from a driven sand-point well, then there should be an inline check valve to prevent the pump from loosing prime. As long as prime has not been lost, restoring power to the pump should immediately repressurize the system.

A low pressure cutoff switch is usually only utilized when there is risk the well will run out of water as it will shut off the pump when the pump is not delivering sufficient water to maintain the desired minimum system pressure. If there is no risk your well will run short of water, then a regular pressure switch without a low pressure shut-off such as offered by Square-D is typically utilized.

If there is any potential that your well will run short of water, then there are better methods to protect the pump such as the Cycle Stop Valve Cycle Saver controller.

A Cycle Saver will shut off power to the pump when it senses the pump is drawing fewer amps (will occur when the pump is drawing air). The Cycle Saver is equipped with a timer that will automatically restore power to the pump after x number of minutes which you can program as appropriate.

https://cyclestopvalves.com/pages/cycle-sensor-pump-monitor

Last edited:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
A low pressure cutoff switch is usually only utilized when there is risk the well will run out of water as it will shut off the pump when the pump is not delivering sufficient water to maintain the desired minimum system pressure.
It is a false sense of security as it is possible that the well runs dry after the water use has ceased and the pump is trying to refill the pressure tank. This can result in the pump losing prime and melting down as the low cutoff will never engage.

Being frugal, I simply lobotomized the low cutoff element from an existing switch rather than purchase a replacement.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks