Well Keeps Losing Prime

Users who are viewing this thread

Jbellio

Reaction score
Okay, here is what I did in order.

1. Pre Fall of 2017 my irrigation system worked great.

2. Fall of 2017, my pump kept tripping a breaker – 2 HP turbine 2” suction, 1 ½ output.

3. I live close to the ocean, it was old and I didn’t know what to do so I replaced the motor and wired it back up, which was 120v. The pump then leaked and I kept tripping the breaker (compounded my issue).

4. So after doing some research and being too cheap to hire someone, I bought a new motor with pump and wired it 230v. (doing so I fried my controller module lol – it’s now replaced and working, spending way more than if I hired a professional)

5. Now I have a working pump, however I keep losing prime. So I did some research and replaced my $200 strataflow check valve with a cheap $20 PVC valve from a hardware store. I still lose prime….

What can cause this? Could I have cracked some PVC in the ground somehow? Any tips or advice?

Setup looks similar to the pic below. I can get pictures later.

LCseries.jpg

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You need a foot valve at the bottom of the suction pipe, not a check valve. Also if you are using those quick connect type connectors on the suction side, they have a tendency of being a place for a suction leak, which will cause a loss of prime.

Reach4

Reaction score
Try searching this forum for the word shaving. For real. :D

Jbellio

Reaction score
Does that seriously work? Sounds like a joke, but also like it might work... i'll try it! Another lol.

Jbellio

Reaction score
So, after taking it apart again, because the shaving cream thing didn't work (I think I had good seals), I noticed there was some PVC glue stuck in the new check valve and it wasn't sealing. So, I removed the glue, and reassembled the check valve... again. Now, I am losing prime... again, along with my mind. I will be switching back to my $200 strataflo valve today, along with sacrificing an animal for the pluming gods to favor me. wish me luck! If this does not work, I will dig down 20' and insert 15 check valves in series to keep prime...errgggg.

Jbellio

Reaction score
Heres the pictures. Fixed it, again, still lost prime. I even took a paint brush and painted a solid bead of glue around all slip joints to make sure I didnt have a leak. Could i have a cracked well pipe?

First pic is what I changed it back to. Second pic is with the $12 check valve

Attachments

• 7A856A8F-A7D2-4D6D-9E66-42237C3B2071.jpeg
    7A856A8F-A7D2-4D6D-9E66-42237C3B2071.jpeg
    150.1 KB · Views: 258
  • 5C276991-DA02-4921-9D70-61ECFC91C51C.jpeg
    5C276991-DA02-4921-9D70-61ECFC91C51C.jpeg
    157.1 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Most likely the suction leak is below the check valve. Yes the pipe could be cracked. Or the water level could be too low. Is that 2" pipe the well casing, or does it go into a larger casing?

Jbellio

Reaction score
It's 2". I assume there is no easy way to try to fix this other than digging down as deep as possible and replacing the pipe? Or have a new well drilled?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You can cut the suction pipe loose and stick it in a 5 gallon bucket. Recirculate the water in the 5 gallon bucket then see if it loses prime while off. If it holds prime with the bucket, your suction leak is further below.

Jbellio

Reaction score
I am so frustrated with this system right now I think I am going to call in an expert. I APPRECIATE all of your help thus far and will be sure to keep you in the loop with what the issue is!

Jbellio

Reaction score
UPDATE: So I finally solved this issue! After an "expert" came by, giving me a money back guarantee changed my check valve out with a brass valve, it didn't fix my issue. The guy stole some flex hose of mine and didn't give me my money back, and I was back to square one. I then decided to put in a new well. While digging to put in a new well next to my old well (water table 7'). Found a coupler at 5.5' deep on the existing well just barely above the water table. Swapped it out and bang it works! Thanks for all your help...

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks