Well help

Users who are viewing this thread

Robbor

Reaction score
I have an older property with a well. Everything seems to have been stripped or stolen. How do i tell if its 120 or 240v? Has 3 wires so im guessing 240v. I need to to get a generator to test the pump and see if it pumps at all.

Attachments

• Pump.jpg
    Pump.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 64
  • Pump power.jpg
    Pump power.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 59
  • Pump house.jpg
    Pump house.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 64

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
A 3 wire pump needs a control box, the version of which depends on the HP of the motor. That breaker panel looks to be wired for 240V.

Robbor

Reaction score
Ok well my well pump size is unknown. Could i use start with a larger 1hp control box figuring it will cover anything 1hp or smaller???

2stupid2fixit

Reaction score
A 3 wire pump needs a control box, the version of which depends on the HP of the motor. That breaker panel looks to be wired for 240V.
There could be two 120 volt leads and one ground going down to the pump. If you have no external control box with resistors and capacitors in it, you might have a 2 wire pump. First before anything else you need to figure out what pump is down your well.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A test with an ohm meter will tell you if it is 2 or 3 wire pump. The ohm readings can also get you very close to what size motor you have. Anything larger than 1/2HP is going to be 240V. If it is 3 wire a 1HP control box would probably be a good thing to try.

Robbor

Reaction score
Yes it is 240v bc there is a 100a 240 line run from my main to the well house.

Attachments

• 20221222_131215.jpg
    20221222_131215.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 43
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks