Well drop

Users who are viewing this thread

AnaRon

Reaction score
Replacing a 1 hp sub pump, drop pipe and new wiring. The well is 125 foot deep, water level 10' below casing top, 16' of 5" pvc casing inside of 19' of 10" steel casing. The rest of the hole is solid granite with several veins feeding the well. The old pump is set at 80' with thread pvc. I do all my own repairs on my well and at my age, I am looking for easier ways to pull the well when I have to do it again. Was thinking about black poly but someone suggested I look at the flexible well hoses. Anyone have any experience with Well Hose, Hammerhead or any other flex drop hose. It looks as if these would make the job a lot easier but know nothing about them and find only a couple reviews on these products. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Ron

Reach4

Reaction score
WellHose looks interesting. The ability to use a smaller diameter pulley looks useful. If you want to pull SIDR poly pipe with a truck, people would normally use a bigger pulley, such as one made with a tractor wheel and a wood frame.

If pulling hand-over-hand, WellHose seems to add less advantage vs poly.

If you use a well seal now, consider a pitless adapter for easier pull and placement. The freeze protection is the normal reason, but the connector-like operation seems advantageous even in areas that don't hard freeze. I am not a pro.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I still prefer Sch 80 threaded with metal couplings but at that depth 160# poly would work fine. If you use a Cycle Stop Valve on your pump you probably won't have to worry about pulling it again, at least in my life time. :)

Reach4

Reaction score
The well is 125 foot deep, water level 10' below casing top, 16' of 5" pvc casing inside of 19' of 10" steel casing.
Note that while a flow inducer sleeve is generally a good idea, for a top-feeding well it is even more important.

VAWellDriller

Reaction score
I don't usually like poly pipe for pumps, but sometimes its the right choice...this is one of those. 90' set with a 10' static will be a piece of cake. Well hose, flex hose, etc is expensive...its hard to properly secure the wire, and it's probably an overkill product for this application.

AnaRon

Reaction score
Appreciate the responses
"Well hose, flex hose, etc is expensive" is correct - 6 to 7 times the cost of poly!

"Note that while a flow inducer sleeve is generally a good idea, for a top-feeding well it is even more important." Out of my knowledge are. Not sure what it refers to. Old pump been in the hole since 2004 with just a drop pipe, wire and the pump.

Reach4

Reaction score
"Note that while a flow inducer sleeve is generally a good idea, for a top-feeding well it is even more important." Out of my knowledge are. Not sure what it refers to. Old pump been in the hole since 2004 with just a drop pipe, wire and the pump.
Bummer. Guess you will go without.

If there was only a way to search for posts that include "flow inducer", especially ones that have that term in the title . In that case, you could find https://terrylove.com/forums/index....-really-needed-with-large-holding-tank.81907/ and other references.:rolleyes:

For a 4-inch pump flow inducer I would choose solvent weld D2729 sewer pipe. That has a bigger ID than SDR 35.
Dimensions for solvent weld D2729 sewer pipe: OD 4.215 ID 4.056 (typically white or green)

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/submersible-pump-inducer-sleeve-help.55949/ is a thread that a search may miss.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Appreciate the responses
"Well hose, flex hose, etc is expensive" is correct - 6 to 7 times the cost of poly!

Hello AnaRon.
We are the suppliers of WellHose DIY Drop Pipe. This product is a no-brainer and anyone who uses it, swears by it. There is never any discussion about future problems or safety cables, etc. And yes, we are more expensive than poly but it is a lot safer to install your pump on WellHose. You can bend and fold the WellHose without damage while you have to be VERY careful with poly, especially in cold weather when it gets brittle. Please feel free to call us and we can help you out.
Cheers

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks