Weird looking copper Water Softener Loop with "T" to drain line

Users who are viewing this thread

RanDog

Reaction score
I bought a new Pulte home and wanted to put in a water softener. I identified the loop, and asked where the drain line was - they said it is the 1/2 inch line in the middle. Trouble is, it terminates in a 3/4 x 3/4 x 1/2 TEE. I don't want to open it up without understanding exactly HOW this 1/2" line terminates? Obviously, there is pressure in the loop, and with the TEE, there should also be pressure in the 1/2" line!! Doesn't make sense unless there is some sort of internal plug in the 1/2" line at some point. Thank you!!
AZ softener loop.jpeg
AZ softener loop.jpeg

Fitter30

Reaction score
Supply to and from softener and drain line? Have a floor drain close look down the drain see if the copper is stub in there.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Check outdoors to see if there is a capped copper pipe visible. If that is a drain line for a softener, this was a bad design.

RanDog

Reaction score
Supply to and from softener and drain line? Have a floor drain close look down the drain see if the copper is stub in there.
There are NO floor drains, no outside stubs either. I'm betting there's something in the laundry drain area - I am not in town at the moment and cannot confirm but this is most likely.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ask Pulte they will know for sure plus didnt you get a list of all the subs that worked there with your new owner package.
I think its to run hard water to a hose bib or fridge . But the builder or plumbing sub will tell you. when you find out tell us LOL...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks