Weil McLain not staying lit

Users who are viewing this thread

motoguy

Reaction score
I have an older Weil McLain natural gas boiler heating hot water radiators. It is a CGM-6-PI Series 8 (CP1453423). Back in 2015 I had to replace the gas valve for a no-start issue. It was fine until, January this year. I was losing heat in the middle of the night. Pilot would light, then burners would ignite, and after a second or two shut down. Flame height and intensity were what they should be. I tested a bad relay so I replaced the transformer/relay panel. This lasted for three months until I started having a very similar problem this week. Same symptoms except when I remove the front cover and the smaller access panel (that rests on the burners) the burners stay lit. If I restore the access panel and front cover, the burners will stay lit until they cycle off when the thermostat reaches temperature. The next time there is a call for heat I get the same start up and immediate shut down.

What am I missing? If the relay is bad again, would removing the access panel effect ignition? I am using two identical Honeywell smart thermostats. No strange noises when the call for heat comes down and the pilot/burners ignite. Circulator pumps keep running with the call for heat even after the pilot/burners shut down (and no heat has been provided).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks