Users who are viewing this thread

JaceHunter

Reaction score
Hey all!

I've read through the other posts on this forum on black specks in water but am running into a bit of a cluster with my issue.

I had some really bad corrosion on my hot water tank nipples and had the whole tank replaced in October. Catch is the plumber tried pulling the nipples after cutting both copper pipes then couldn't so he reconnected the pipes and came back the next day with a new tank... When I went to fill baths that day we had a bunch of corroded metal chunks pouring out into the tubs. I was chapped but it made sense. Plumber came back the next morning and replaced the tank and instead of re-piping in copper installed braided hoses and no dielectric unions. I mentioned the chunks and as expected he said that it shouldn't be a problem just run the hot for a bit and it'll flush out.

So after the tank was replaced we had a couple days where we still had these flakes then it seemed to clear up. Off and on I'd find a speck or two floating in a bath but over the last few weeks its really ramped up to the point now where it's all over but still sporadic. Filled my son's bath last night and had a lot of flakes, drained then re-filled and had no issue. Filled daughter's bath (2nd tub) and had a medium amount. Tank was replaced mid October and we are now at Jan 1.

I went to the basement to check hoses and noticed the cold intake was leaking (failed at the crimp) but nothing else of note. Plumber came back and replaced the hose but said he's never heard of black flecks coming out of the hot water tank before. I reminded him of the tank repair situation but he didn't remember. I told him it's coming out of both bath tub faucets upstairs so I'm expecting the sinks to have some too - maybe the aerators are blocking the big stuff. He pulled an aerator and sure enough there were black flakes in it.

With all the long winded background out of the way - Plumber has no clue what could be causing the issue. I asked about sediment still in the pipes from when he re-connected the original tank after trying to remove the corroded nipples but I said it doesn't make sense to me that we would have it ramping up like this three months later. He agreed. Said he'd ask around but left with no solution at all. I'm debating calling my local lab to see if they will pull a sample to tell me what is in the water - figured this might help narrow things down. I also haven't drained the tank yet so that's on the to-do list tonight. Any other suggestions on how I should move ahead with this?

Flakes both float and sink. Some smear, some are hard like metal and break apart when pushed against a hard surface. I'll upload some pics in a sec but it's the same as others have noted.

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to read / reply. At a bit of a loss since the plumber just shrugged and ran off.

Last edited:

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Is the water heater the only metal component in your plumbing system? Excluding copper and brass of course.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Entire house plumbed in copper and a non iron water main could be your hoses I never use the rubber hose for that try corrugated stainless steel connectors .

corrugated-wh-supply-01.jpg

JaceHunter

Reaction score
Keep in mind the rubber hoses have only been in place for 3 months. Before that it was all copper at the water heater then PEX off the header.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
Tank? I guess you mean the tank-type water heater heater, and not an atmospheric storage tank. So in other words, your WH was replaced.

I am guessing the work stirred up sediment. Yes the braided hoses often decompose over time, but you say the originals were not in service long.

JaceHunter

Reaction score
Tank? I guess you mean the tank-type water heater heater, and not an atmospheric storage tank. So in other words, your WH was replaced.

I am guessing the work stirred up sediment. Yes the braided hoses often decompose over time, but you say the originals were not in service long.
Yep, sorry I've corrected the original post. HW Tank is what was replaced back in Oct. Hoses were replaced Jan 2nd.

JaceHunter

Reaction score
The flakes that float will smudge when wiped.

20230101_185053.jpg20230101_185128.jpg

IMG-20230101-WA0006.jpg

The ones that sink are hard like plastic / metal but break apart when crushed.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Braided water heater supplies are often the problem when there are small black specks. I don't use them.
I use corrugated, either stainless steel or copper.

JaceHunter

Reaction score
Braided water heater supplies are often the problem when there are small black specks. I don't use them.
I use corrugated, either stainless steel or copper.
Thanks Terry, I did ask the plumber to look at the hoses he pulled today when he replaced the leaking one. The only black rubber in the unit is the gasket inside the connection and that's still in perfect shape. From what I could see in the tubes they were smooth.

I was leaning towards the braided hoses being the culprit after scouring the forums and google but no dice.

If more pictures would help clarify anything I could grab some more.

20230101_201648.jpg

Unless you guys (Terry / Jeff) mean the supply lines branching from the pex line to the faucet supply at the end of the line (sorry... I'm obviously no plumber... lingo...) at my sinks and toilets they are braided hoses yes but the supplies to the tub faucets go from pex to solid copper.

Last edited:

JaceHunter

Reaction score
Alright, So first off I wanted to say thank you to Terry, Reach4, John, and Jeff for responding and trying to help me out.

Just adding a resolution here for posterity in case anyone else runs into similar:

The plumber and I dissected one of the hoses and couldn't find any deterioration / wear / etc. However the replaced hose was leaking immediately after replacing so I asked him to go back to copper regardless.

When I pulled the bottom of the tank after he left I had a much higher volume of the flakes which I said were more tar like. I got in touch with the Rheem rep who did some digging around and one guy in their technical division said he's seen this before but it's quite rare. I'm paraphrasing heavily here but the glass liner in the tank was faulty / damaged and the bonding agent didn't cure properly in that area so it heats up and seeps out the crack in the glass and remains mobile in the tank.

So needless to say the water heater will be replaced and this should be good to go from here. If not I'll make sure to respond here so I'm not misleading anyone in future.

Thank you all again for helping out a first time poster!

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I never heard thgis befor I remember another guy with sim ilar problem coulda been a year or more ago. but the porcelan beeing defective didnt come up . I hope this fixes it and please let us know if it dosent . good luck

jameskac

Reaction score
Alright, So first off I wanted to say thank you to Terry, Reach4, John, and Jeff for responding and trying to help me out.

Just adding a resolution here for posterity in case anyone else runs into similar:

The plumber and I dissected one of the hoses and couldn't find any deterioration / wear / etc. However the replaced hose was leaking immediately after replacing so I asked him to go back to copper regardless.

When I pulled the bottom of the tank after he left I had a much higher volume of the flakes which I said were more tar like. I got in touch with the Rheem rep who did some digging around and one guy in their technical division said he's seen this before but it's quite rare. I'm paraphrasing heavily here but the glass liner in the tank was faulty / damaged and the bonding agent didn't cure properly in that area so it heats up and seeps out the crack in the glass and remains mobile in the tank.

So needless to say the water heater will be replaced and this should be good to go from here. If not I'll make sure to respond here so I'm not misleading anyone in future.

Thank you all again for helping out a first time poster!
Hello,
Just found this thread and it's eerily similar to situation I am going through at a rental right now. We had new water heater and expansion tank replaced. Water heater flushed. We are still seeing these black specks in the water. Did replacing the water heater solve the problem for you?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks