Water softener selection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Stretch5881

Reaction score
Howdy all, I am going to buy and install a water softener. I have been studying the basics and reviews for the last 2 days (my arse smarts from sitting at the computer). A lot of confusion in the advertising. I'm not sure what is relevant, and what is hokum.
So, I am asking for advice on brand, size and maybe model number. I only buy quality equipment, so no big box store stuff.
We have a private well. 2 people, 2 bath. A diy test showed 25 gpg total hardness and 0 iron.
What do you think?

Reach4

Reaction score
You should get a lab water test. Is your plumbing line to be softened 3/4 or 1 inch pipe, or what?

Reach4

Reaction score
Yes.
The Fleck 581oSXT would probably be a good choice as the valve, and you would want the rest to be high quality too. Click Inbox, above.

Stretch5881

Reaction score
Ok, I will consider your suggestions in your pm, as I am not in a rush and I want to do it right.
My biggest issues are, looking at reviews of "the best softeners", the top reviews are of a big box store cabinet style unit. So I don't trust reviews.
Next I looked at seller sites and they are biased to what they sell, and some of the efficiency specs they list are questionable. Upflow vs downflow, 50% less water and salt usage, why their head is better, why their warranty is better, conflicting sizing info, ect...
So, here I am, asking for real world experiences.