Water Softener selection: Puronics or AO Smith

Users who are viewing this thread

mattchen

Reaction score
Hi,

I went to Home Depot & Lowe's seeking a new water softener system. Both stores ultimately sent local partner to my house to offer me quotes. Here Puronics is with Home Depot and AO Smith is with Lowes. I don't know what's the recommendation of you folks think of each brand, in terms of the products itself and further maintenance easiness. Puronics currently offers Defender iGen and AO Smith offers Expert Series RC here in Orange County, California.

This is my what I found. I may be wrong. Please correct me if I am wrong. Puronics has water softener business much longer than AO Smith. Puronics also have more legit certificates. However, AO Smith has carbon and chemical removal functions which look fancy to me.

The the last thing, not sure which side is better. AO Smith claims they don't need to change anything in the future except adding salts while Puronics needs to change the MicroSilver Bacteriostasis filter every three years.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help

Reach4

Reaction score
Carbon (GAC or catalytic carbon) needs to be replaced after maybe 5 years, even in a big backwashing tank. Is that a separate backwashing carbon tank they are trying to sell you, or is it a cartridge filter, which is much less effective, and less long-lasting?

Reach4

Reaction score
Usually you don't want to get your softener and water treatment system from a big box store. Also, any seller who can send out salesmen will have a high markup.

Bryceslu

Reaction score
I certainly wouldn’t want any added chlorine…not sure what that’s about.
How much is each company charging you and for what size units? I don’t know much of anything other than going through this same process recently. Ended up sourcing my own equipment to get what I actually wanted. Got a larger capacity catalyzed carbon and softener system for about same price as just a softener locally.

mattchen

Reaction score
They added chlorine to remove residual chemicals therefore they claim the system is chemical removal available and won't have chemical deposition to maintain its healthness

Home Depot Purionics Defender iGen B cost $3400 installed
Lowes AO Smith Expert Series RC cost $4400 installed (they do have non chemical removal version $3400)

Lots of people said most units sold on the shelves of big box stores are less reliable and may need to be replaced maybe less than 5 years. And professional service companies have units with pro grade. What do you think guys?

Thanks again for everyone's input

Bannerman

Reaction score
The softener and filtration system recommendations offered on this site are generally for Fleck or Clack based systems. A review of this site will also show water treatment equipment offered by big-box and proprietary vendors to be usually advised against.

A softener that also contains carbon media will signify lower capacity and performance for each task.

You haven't specified your water source, water hardness at your location, the anticipated water consumption data and contaminants to be removed.

If your water source is a private well, a lab test report will be necessary to determine the condition of the raw water, and to assist to determine the type and size of treatment needing to be considered.

If the water source is municipal, then the water will contain either chlorine or chloramine (chlorine and ammonia) so depending on which disinfectant is utilized, will determine the type of carbon required.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
You are in OC? I have many local companies that can offer you great pricing, excellent USA made equipment and no sales garbage. No high pressure etc...

Bryceslu

Reaction score
I would highly recommend taking up ditttohead on the offer. My quality carbon tank and softener tank cost a lot less than those #s. Not to mention you know exactly what you are getting without any marketing jargon.

wilafur

Reaction score
You are in OC? I have many local companies that can offer you great pricing, excellent USA made equipment and no sales garbage. No high pressure etc...

Hi Dittohead,

I am looking to install a softener system at my home that I'm building in Arcadia, CA. Do you have recommendations for firms to talk to to discuss systems that will work for my house, and to obtain quotes? Thank you.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks