Water Softener Recommendation

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score
If we are to believe the total hardness, then your hardness would only be 5.3 grains. Most water departments report an average, and you want the worst case. Suppose 9 months of the year, they pull the water from a river, and 3 months of the year they pull the water from a well. River water tends to be less hard, and well water is significantly harder.

1. If I assume 10 grains, then 1.5 cuft of resin in a 10x54 inch tank is plenty.

You must insist on 10% crosslinked resin, unless you have that carbon tank before the softener.

2. Downflow is more foolproof.

3. Carbon tanks don't have a meter, but it is better if they have a backwashing valve atop the tank. If there is not a big thing up there that looks about the same as for a softener, that would be upflow carbon tank. That risks getting the media clumped together. Carbon can both remove chlorine/chloromine, but also organic chemicals.

4. Probably. This assumes you have at least 40 psi of water pressure.

N

Nick360

Yeah I think 1.5cu ft would be plenty. I'll most likely get a downflow carbon tank also just to remove any extra stuff in the water before the softener. Last I checked the water pressure I was at about 60 psi, so I should be good running it into the attic.

1. Any recommendations on fleck or clack valve models I should be looking at?

2. Do you recommendations of places I can buy all the parts or the full system from online without paying too much in shipping?

Reach4

Reaction score
Clack are good, but they don't want to sell to DIY folks, or to people who will buy the equipment and have a non-dealer plumber do the installation.

N

Nick360

Clack are good, but they don't want to sell to DIY folks, or to people who will buy the equipment and have a non-dealer plumber do the installation.
Ahh ok makes sense why I can't find it anywhere. Only thing I've been seeing locally are cheap knockoffs, or proprietary systems.

bingow

Reaction score
@Nick360 and @Texas Water Boy. If you are interested in Clack, check their website Clackcorp.com. In their top menu, "water treatment", select "for the homeowner" where you can contact them and they will send you info on nearest dealers. Not likely a chance for DIY, but worth a try.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks