Water Softener Drainage

Users who are viewing this thread

brand7onx

Reaction score
I had a water softener installed by a licensed plumber and I noticed he couldn't find the drain line as it was just a water softener loop with no exposed drain line. He routed the drain line outside in our mulch area and I was just making sure this won't have any long term possible issues being installed this way? Located in central florida so no freeze issues.

Attachments

• 20240317_114315.jpg
    20240317_114315.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 38
  • 20240317_114553.jpg
    20240317_114553.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 20240317_114556.jpg
    20240317_114556.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 37

Reach4

Reaction score
The drainage is bad for plants. Ideally the water would continue down to a "dry well" -- a cavity filled with gravel-- that let the water seep down rather than over to the grass.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Im very familiar with coastal florida being very sandy he has a pipe going down into I dont know what the water I would expect to kill grass if it dumped right on the lawn but no idea if this would happen as shown it might be ok I wouldnt be suprised . however I think it needs an airgap ?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
All I see is mulch not guessing at it does it overflow ? how deep is it? could be a dry well full of rock

brand7onx

Reaction score
Its about a foot deep. its just mulch and dirt no dry well/rocks. It does overflow right away and runs down to the grass area. Should I just dig deep and put like a 5 gallon bucket and drill holes at the bottom and fill it with rocks?

Reach4

Reaction score
If your softener has 10 inch tanks, expect 2.4 GPM flow during backwash and fast rinse. If those totaled 10 minutes, that is 24 gallons right there.

Do you have sewer?

Bannerman

Reaction score
I wouldn't want that type of discharge so close to my home's footings.

Suggest checking with your local building department to determine discharge requirements.

sewerat

Reaction score
I have seen companies water jet 10ft down and burry a 3/4" pipe which the discharge drains to. Assuming the soil is permeable enough at that depth to absorb the amount of discharge from the softener.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have seen companies water jet 10ft down and burry a 3/4" pipe which the discharge drains to. Assuming the soil is permeable enough at that depth to absorb the amount of discharge from the softener.
what about an air gap and protecting the potable water system? they still need that right ?

sewerat

Reaction score
Air gaps are for more for cross contamination when connecting to sanitary drains. Can't hurt to add an air gap if it gives you peace of mind.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks