Water shut off not fully shutting off water

Users who are viewing this thread

Juvi

Reaction score
I have to replace the guts of my toilet. When I shut off the water, there seems to be a little bit of water still coming out top of the line, which I had disconnected from the fill valve. Thought it might be the line, so I bought a new one. But that didnt seem to make a difference. I’m thinking I will have to replace the shut off valve, but what is curious is that with water still off and everything connected, there is no leak. When I turn on the water, then the water leaks slowly at the point where the line connects to the fill valve. Is this because of the water pressure? Will replacing the shut off valve fix this? All connection points are as snug as I can make them.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you have a multi-turn shutoff, the gasket that seals it when it gets old can prevent it from closing fully. A new shutoff should resolve that. Pick up one that is 1/4-turn...they tend to last longer. That should solve the can't turn it off problem.

The hose connection to the valve has a rubber seal inside. The most common reason that would leak is if you tried to put some tape on the threads...DON'T! The connection is similar to a garden hose, so no pipe dope or PTFE tape is needed or wanted on the threads. If you put some on, remove it, and it will probably stop leaking. It doesn't have to be super tight to seal, just like a garden hose, but hand tight and then a bit more with a wrench should be enough.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks