water line replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

BubblegumMom

Reaction score
We did have our electrical panel replaced recently and the electricians pounded a couple posts into the ground. Maybe that does it? I was wondering how the house is grounded if you replace the pipe with plastic. We had O'Neill come out to give us an estimate and they would bore under the ground without affecting our driveway too much, and said they would use copper pipe. But I have had heard about pinholes in copper pipe and that worries me.

BubblegumMom

Reaction score
So we have had 3 plumbers come out and give estimates. One wants to use copper, 2 want to use pex. So now the choice. Several people have suggested HDPE, but that has not been offered.

But you know, we have moles in our yard from time to time and I have read that varmints chew through pex. What to do?

They would be using trenchless, directional boring equipment to go under the concrete.

Thank you!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some soil can be corrosive to copper pipe. A call to your local water company may give you an idea of how reliable it is in your locale. Things can chew through copper as well, but I guess it would somewhat depend on how deep it needs to go to be below the frost line. Costwise, the copper will be more, and if it makes you feel better, may be the way to go.

Mliu

Reaction score
One wants to use copper, 2 want to use pex. So now the choice. Several people have suggested HDPE, but that has not been offered.
Just so you know, HDPE = High Density Polyethylene. PEX = Cross-Linked Polyethylene. PEX is a modified version of HDPE where the polyethylene molecules are cross-linked (by one of three methods) during the manufacturing process.

PEX is stronger and more flexible than HDPE, making it ideal for plumbing inside a home where you need to make fairly small-radius bends and where you need extra safety against pipe failure. PEX can also be used in exterior applications (either buried or enclosed in an outer covering, because it is not UV resistant). The reason HDPE is often used for buried water supply lines is primarly due to cost: PEX is more expensive than HDPE. For a buried supply line (which is usually a relatively straight line, or where the bends can be of very large radius), the greater strength and flexibility of PEX do not justify its increased cost. That said, I believe the cost of PEX has been decreasing as the scale of PEX production has increased dramatically in recent years. So PEX may be more price competitive now than it was in the past.

But you know, we have moles in our yard from time to time and I have read that varmints chew through pex.
Moles typically burrow within the top 12" of the soil. You will need to check you local code for proper depth of burial, but I wouldn't go less than 18-inches. Also, I recommend backfilling with a layer of sand covering the pipe: the sand will protect the pipe from rock damage, will deter rodents, and will make it much easier to unearth sections of the pipe if you ever need to make any repairs. You may want to put a protective sleeve around the pipe where it transitions up out of the ground to help protect it from varmints and other possible sources of damage (like shovels!); that sleeve can be Schedule 80 PVC.

Don't forget to have the installers lay a tracer wire with the pipe. And it's a good idea to run a blue-colored plastic utility marker tape (like this one) in the backfill over the pipe (above the sand layer).

Last edited:

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
Just so you know, HDPE = High Density Polyethylene. PEX = Cross-Linked Polyethylene. PEX is a modified version of HDPE where the polyethylene molecules are cross-linked (by one of three methods) during the manufacturing process.

PEX is stronger and more flexible than HDPE, making it ideal for plumbing inside a home where you need to make fairly small-radius bends and where you need extra safety against pipe failure. PEX can also be used in exterior applications (either buried or enclosed in an outer covering, because it is not UV resistant). The reason HDPE is often used for buried water supply lines is primarly due to cost: PEX is more expensive than HDPE. For a buried supply line (which is usually a relatively straight line, or where the bends can be of very large radius), the greater strength and flexibility of PEX do not justify its increased cost. That said, I believe the cost of PEX has been decreasing as the scale of PEX production has increased dramatically in recent years. So PEX may be more price competitive now than it was in the past.

Moles typically burrow within the top 12" of the soil. You will need to check you local code for proper depth of burial, but I wouldn't go less than 18-inches. Also, I recommend backfilling with a layer of sand covering the pipe: the sand will protect the pipe from rock damage, will deter rodents, and will make it much easier to unearth sections of the pipe if you ever need to make any repairs. You may want to put a protective sleeve around the pipe where it transitions up out of the ground to help protect it from varmints and other possible sources of damage (like shovels!); that sleeve can be Schedule 80 PVC.

Don't forget to have the installers lay a tracer wire with the pipe. And it's a good idea to run a blue-colored plastic utility marker tape (like this one) in the backfill over the pipe (above the sand layer).

Sand doesn't do anything to keep rodents away.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks