Water leak and I am stumped

Users who are viewing this thread

Jamie L

Reaction score
Hello. I have no idea what caused a water leak that I had. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Here is what happened:

I live in a side by side townhouse style condo with full bath upstairs and half bath down stairs. Last Saturday around 8 pm I noticed my ceiling in the kitchen above above the refrigerator had water spots, was bowing and was dripping. I went upstairs and discovered that my upper bathroom had 3 inches or so of water covering the entire floor. I mopped up the water. I have no idea what caused it. I had been upstairs around 3 pm that day and didn't notice any water then by 8 pm is when the water was there. I didn't run any water upstairs that day, did not run the shower or bathroom sink. After I mopped up the water I turned off the main water valve, the ceiling in kitchen stopped dripping, so I went to bed. The tub upstairs is directly above the part of the kitchen ceiling that was leaking.

The next morning I called a plumber and he told me over the phone to do process of elimination to find out where leak came from so he told me to turn on main water valve, go upstairs and run the tub and bathroom faucets for about 10 minutes, flush toilet up there and look for leaks. I did all this and didnt see any leaking anywhere. He also said it could be a roof leak so I had condo roof guy come over and inspect my attic for water and there is no water up there.

I talked to my neighbor on the phone and asked if he was running any water during the time of the leaking and he said no (being a side by side, the plumbing might be connected somehow).

I've taken showers and used upstairs sink and toilet since the leak and there is no further leaking.

I am stumped. Does anyone know if water can collect somewhere behind the wall over a period of time and then start leaking? Even if that were true, wouldn't it leak again right away after showering and running water upstairs?

I'm sorry this is so long, I didn't want to leave anything out.

Reach4

Reaction score
I went upstairs and discovered that my upper bathroom had 3 inches or so of water covering the entire floor.
Exaggerating?

Had somebody else been in your condo shortly before the incident?

Was there a large rain that day?

Jamie L

Reaction score
Exaggerating?

Had somebody else been in your condo shortly before the incident?

Was there a large rain that day?
I didn't measure the water but I can tell you it filled 2 and 1/2 two gallon buckets.

No one else was in my condo.

There was a large rain on Friday (downpour when I got home at 5 pm) and Saturday it rained a little but not alot. The water leak happened sometime between 3 and 8 pm Saturday

Reach4

Reaction score
Flat roof? Could a maintenance person have been up there and cleared a blocked drain?

Davidlayspipe

Reaction score
seems like tub drain could be cracked. just got done fixing one that would leak after 20 mins of use sometimes, than other times no leak for days. drain was cast iron. i would say put your tub under a good test than go from there considering the leak seemed to be right below where the tub sits.

Jamie L

Reaction score
Do you have to run it for 20 minutes for the tub test? Because I've been taking showers everyday since the leak and have not had any further leaking.

Jamie L

Reaction score
I had a restoration company come to my house and they removed the ceiling drywall in part of my kitchen and part of my dining room where the water was dripping. The upper bath (where the 3 inches of water was on the floor) is directly above that part of my kitchen. So I have the ceiling opened up, all pipes (tub, bathroom sink, toilet) exposed and the restoration company ran the tub, shower, sink and toilet upstairs and nothing is leaking. I've also been using the shower, sink and toilet upstairs daily since then (about a week and half) and no leaking.

The restoration company sprayed for mold and put heavy duty fans up to dry out the ceiling. Not even the restoration company can figure out where the water came from. The water on the upper bath floor happened Saturday July 21 and we did have some light rain that morning but on July 20th, we had heavy rain. I'm still thinking it has to be something with the roof but there is no water in the attic and the ceiling of the upper bath shows no water damage. Maybe it came through roof vents or through a crack in the side of the house and ran along with wall?

I live in a townhouse style condo and the condo association is responsible for the roof and the condo president said the condo's roofer went up there and couldn't find anything. Since we haven't had any heavy rain since July 20th, I really want someone to go up on the roof with a garden hose and simulate rain, but the condo president is not willing to do that. I was also told I can't hire my own roofer to inspect the roof because the roof is the condo's responsibility. Both my homeowners insurance agent and the condo president said I can't pay for my own roof inspection because it's against the rules.

Reach4

Reaction score
I live in a townhouse style condo and the condo association is responsible for the roof and the condo president said the condo's roofer went up there and couldn't find anything. Since we haven't had any heavy rain since July 20th, I really want someone to go up on the roof with a garden hose and simulate rain, but the condo president is not willing to do that. I was also told I can't hire my own roofer to inspect the roof because the roof is the condo's responsibility. Both my homeowners insurance agent and the condo president said I can't pay for my own roof inspection because it's against the rules.
Can you squirt a water hose onto the roof from the ground while somebody looks for incoming water? I wonder what the highest stream you can get with a nozzle on a garden hose. Maybe tape the nozzle onto a 10 ft piece of PVC pipe to get a height boost. If that is not enough, a pressure washer or booster pump could give the extra range.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks