Water in sewer line

Users who are viewing this thread

Dbwil

Reaction score
Hi All.

I am looking for opinions on water in the sewer line and how much of an issue this is.

A rental home I own had water coming in around the sewer pipe through the foundation. Upon excavation, it was found that the pipe was completely cracked just outside the foundation. It was repaired and a backwater valve was installed.

Before completing the repair, they pressure washed the sewer line heading to the main, as it was too hard to fish out. They suspected some sags so they ran a camera and hit water in the pipe after 50 feet, so they couldn't see anything.

The plumber said the water in the sewer line will cause the solids to stop and likely create a blockage at some point.

He recommended having the line digitally traced and then excavating the entire street, all the way to the main. The street is private and therefore not the responsibility of the city. I am the only home on the street on city sewer :(. I have no idea who owns the actually street.

The cost could be major so I am more inclined to wait and see what happens. At least I have a backwater valve to prevent backup now and I would have to have the line jetted again.

I would appreciate any thoughts to help guide my next steps.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Your city's property office should be able to tell you who owns the land the private street is on. If you have the survey from the purchase of your house, it would also show the limits of your property lines. Does anyone plow your street? Since it's private, they normally wouldn't do that for free, and that may be an avenue to learn who owns it.

IF the line does not have a continuous grade, then it won't move the waste properly...a flat or belly will allow things to slow down, and it can take some force to move it further. A column of water only generates about 0.43 psi per one foot elevation change (sorry, not in metric!). So, there isn't much force trying to move things unless gravity can do it.

Until you can determine who owns it, you may have to live with it. Worst case if you're responsible, might be to install a sewage pump. Might be cheaper than digging up the road if you're responsible and rebuilding the line. Note, depending on the elevation of where the main city line is, it may never work right without a pump if you're below that point and there's not enough slope available for gravity to work.

On a 4" or larger line, that slope could be 1/8"/foot, but one smaller needs at least 1/4"/foot slope to work right. Those are MINIMUMS, not an average. There can't be any flat spots or dips along the line.

Standing water in a line implies either a blockage, or a dip.

Dbwil

Reaction score
Your city's property office should be able to tell you who owns the land the private street is on. If you have the survey from the purchase of your house, it would also show the limits of your property lines. Does anyone plow your street? Since it's private, they normally wouldn't do that for free, and that may be an avenue to learn who owns it.

IF the line does not have a continuous grade, then it won't move the waste properly...a flat or belly will allow things to slow down, and it can take some force to move it further. A column of water only generates about 0.43 psi per one foot elevation change (sorry, not in metric!). So, there isn't much force trying to move things unless gravity can do it.

Until you can determine who owns it, you may have to live with it. Worst case if you're responsible, might be to install a sewage pump. Might be cheaper than digging up the road if you're responsible and rebuilding the line. Note, depending on the elevation of where the main city line is, it may never work right without a pump if you're below that point and there's not enough slope available for gravity to work.

On a 4" or larger line, that slope could be 1/8"/foot, but one smaller needs at least 1/4"/foot slope to work right. Those are MINIMUMS, not an average. There can't be any flat spots or dips along the line.

Standing water in a line implies either a blockage, or a dip.

Thanks! This is very helpful!!

Plumbs

In the Trades
Reaction score
It depends on the severity of the belly in the line. Did they say how long it is and how much of the pipe is holding water? I know sometimes you can't see anything when the camera is in sewage. If they would have left the camera in the line while you ran a lot of clean water then it would eventually become clear enough to see how bad it is. If they did not do that then I'd get a second opinion.
Sometimes things look worse on the camera since most cameras lenses are about an inch to the center.
If the belly is relatively short and shallow then you may never have issues with proper use. If it's deep and/or long then you may have constant clogs even with proper use.
Also, the backwater valve only prevents the city water from backing up into your house. If your line gets clogged before the tap to the city then you'll still have sewage coming up at the lowest point in your house.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
A back water valve is a last resort as it restricts flow considerably .

Like they said it depends on the severity of the belly and it will not get better by itself. I think it is time to replace the pipe OR

You have one other options install a sewer ejector in a pit have the waste flow into this sealed and vented tank and pump the waste connecting the piping after the house trap .

The ejector may give it enough volume and pressure to for the solids down stream

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks