Washing machine standpipe P-trap below floor

Users who are viewing this thread

alexlacelle

Reaction score
I'm located in Ontario Canada and replacing my laundry room standpipe plumbing. I'm told that here I would be allowed to put the P trap below the floor (in my basement as opposed to the main floor laundry room). I tried searching for the rules regarding this but I cant for the life of me find anything.

Could someone tell me if this is in fact allowed, and if so, how tall the stand pipe can be from the P-trap? Surely if this is allowed the standpipe should be allowed to extend longer than the 30 inches I've seen referenced to under other codes? Furthermore, would I be allowed to run properly sloped pipe from the trap horizontally for any length then to a long 90 then vertically up into the laundry room?

This pipe will be vented and will connect to an existing 3 inch vent. I'm told this connection must be at least 6 inches above the flood rim for the washer. Is this correct or could I tie into the vent pipe in the basement as well, after the trap?

Thank you!

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
There are some things allowed in Canada plumbing codes that are not in in the U.S., so it would be best to seek out the advice of a plumber from Canada. Here, the trap for the washer must be above the floor, and the vent must be vertical until it reaches a point at least 6" higher than the flood rim of the highest fixture connected to the vent. The standpipe and trap must be 2" and a 2" horizontal drain cannot exceed 8' between the trap and vent given a 1/4" foot of pitch.

alexlacelle

Reaction score
There are some things allowed in Canada plumbing codes that are not in in the U.S., so it would be best to seek out the advice of a plumber from Canada. Here, the trap for the washer must be above the floor, and the vent must be vertical until it reaches a point at least 6" higher than the flood rim of the highest fixture connected to the vent. The standpipe and trap must be 2" and a 2" horizontal drain cannot exceed 8' between the trap and vent given a 1/4" foot of pitch.

Thanks for your reply. I ended up plumbing it in the “normal” way, with the trap in the room. I couldn’t find any more details on putting the trap in the basement and I didn’t want to take any chances.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks