Washer & Dryer - A loose outlet above my 3-Prong Outlet

Users who are viewing this thread

Scott0613

Reaction score
Yesterday when I pulled out my washer and dryer (located in a closet) to clean out my dryer hose I noticed an outlet (no clue why it's there) was loose and when I went to move it, it sparked. It's located above my three-prong outlet for the machine. Is it safe just to leave it the way it is if I don't use it? It didn't affect the electricity for my W/D

Thanks,
Scott

Attachments

• E1.jpg
    E1.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 56
  • e2.jpg
    e2.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 56
  • E3.jpg
    E3.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 56
  • E4.jpg
    E4.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 57

Reach4

Reaction score
In E4.jpg, it looks like the hot screw touched the box. I hope the breaker tripped.

When pulling out outlets to work on them, you really should turn off the breaker first.

Tell us about "loose". Is that part solved?

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Is it safe just to leave it the way it is if I don't use it?
I will say no, if it is loose and wiggling it can cause a spark (likely in the manner Reach4 suggested), that is not safe. You should have a qualified person (e.g. an electrician) secure it properly so it won't spark when jostling or vibrated.

Cheers, Wayne

Rossn

Reaction score
I'm with Wayne. Looks like the insulation may even be damaged where it arced. If you know the breaker to kill to de-energize it, that might be a good idea.

I'm not an electrician, but to my untrained eyes, looks like there may be a few things that are not compliant with current NEC (electrical box recessed, use of stranded wire - I'm not sure if that's legit) and it may require AFCI to replace the receptacle, which in my personal opinion, I'd consider compromised.

If it was me, I would not touch it bare footed or handed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks