Washer drain pipe overflowing

Users who are viewing this thread

rsten

Reaction score
The washer drain in my basement is an old 1-1/2" galvanized pipe. The flow rate of the pump in my new washing machine is much greater than the capacity of the old pipe, and a lot of water overflows. The old galvanized pipe is set with lead into the 3" drain below. I lack the skills to deal with something like that, and I'd rather not have to bring in a professional to fix it right now. (There's a bunch of related plumbing work that needs to be done and we're not quite ready to get into that just yet.)

Here's an idea for a workaround. I put a automatic utility pump into a 20 gallon tub next to the washer; drain the washer into the tub; and run a hose from the utility pump to the old drain pipe. The flow rate from the utility pump won't overwhelm the drain but will easily empty the tub in time for the next cycle.

I don't love it, but it seems like it would work. What do you think?

Thank you for your consideration.

Ray

Reach4

Reaction score
What you propose would work. Simpler would be to add the wash tub, and gravity drain that if you can. Then drain the WM into that laundry sink.

Is the overflow only suds?

Have you tried getting the existing path cleared?

If you could rip out the existing standpipe and lead, and putting a new plastic standpipe into that 3 inch pipe, that would seem to be a good choice. The new plastic would probably be transitioned to the cast iron with a "donut".

rsten

Reaction score
Thanks, Reach4, for verifying that my rather inelegant plan would work.

Unfortunately, the only drain line in the basement is 30" above the floor, so I can't put in a utility sink.

The overflow is water, about a gallon per load of wash.

Are you suggesting Roto-Rooter or the like?

I'll mull over the possibility of replacing the standpipe. I suppose it's always good to learn new skills...

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Are you suggesting Roto-Rooter or the like?.
Yes, but I would look to see if there was a non-franchise guy who has been doing it for a while. Be ready to leave a message, because that guy probably does not have an office staff.