Washer backing up into tub?

Users who are viewing this thread

Awindspirit

Reaction score
Ok. so my washer backed up into my plug-still-in-bathtub yesterday. And it got pretty full, like 2 inches from the top, nothing going down the overflow either. And this morning, the water hadn't gone down, not even one drop. Thought it would at least go down a tiny bit; not one little bit. Sinks and commode all draining fine, so I start bailing water out of the tub into the sink. I keep going and going and notice a bunch of what looks like dryer lint all in the water. BUT THEN... the tub suddenly starts draining. an continued draining until all was gone and rinsed it out with the shower and still draining. Now whats the sicience behind all that? By the way, I completely removed the tub stopper yesterday. Why would it suddenly start draining by me bailing the water out? that makes no sense. Oh and the plunger wasn't moving anything either. well, no more leaving the bath water thinking I'm going to get back in it. And now, I'll try the washer again. See if there's some kind of lint filter I should be cleaning. but still scientifically and graviital (from the word, "gravity") strange to me.

Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
It is doubtful that ice that is causing the blocking. Using a plunger in a bathtub is useless. The pressure from the plunger comes out of the tub overflow. Other than the toilet, all fixtures have an external P traps. To snake from the drain itself such as at the tub will be very difficult. Trying to snake from the tub drain is not possible. Snake from the overflow but getting around the p trap may be a bit difficult. If the plumbing is accessible from a lower floor such as a basement, there should be a clean out plug. Remove the plug and try to snake back toward the tub. May have better success at the laundry stand pipe.

Somewhere past the tub or the washing machine drain is the clog.
1671732521998.png
1671732565386.png

Google "sink clean out" . Check at the laundry stand pipe for a clean out and maybe there is one under any sink in the home. In Florida it is usually outside of the wall at the kitchen sink.

These show typical clean outs

Awindspirit

Reaction score
It is doubtful that ice that is causing the blocking. Using a plunger in a bathtub is useless. The pressure from the plunger comes out of the tub overflow. Other than the toilet, all fixtures have an external P traps. To snake from the drain itself such as at the tub will be very difficult. Trying to snake from the tub drain is not possible. Snake from the overflow but getting around the p trap may be a bit difficult. If the plumbing is accessible from a lower floor such as a basement, there should be a clean out plug. Remove the plug and try to snake back toward the tub. May have better success at the laundry stand pipe.

Somewhere past the tub or the washing machine drain is the clog.
View attachment 89383. View attachment 89384

Google "sink clean out" . Check at the laundry stand pipe for a clean out and maybe there is one under any sink in the home. In Florida it is usually outside of the wall at the kitchen sink.

These show typical clean outs
Oh, is this for me? THANK YOU! I will definitely take this under advisement and keep your illustrations and links. Thank you so much. for replying. II've updated my post. And I'm grateful for my blessings. Crossing my fingers through the next load of laundry. I'm sure there's a trap or something somewhere I need to be cleaning, which I'm pretty sure would mean suitin' up and gettin' down in my crawl space under the house. Hopin' to avoid that. It's sunny out but it's a whopping 4 degrees farenheit outside right now. Thank you again for replying. - Angela

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Oh, is this for me? THANK YOU! I will definitely take this under advisement and keep your illustrations and links. Thank you so much. for replying. II've updated my post. And I'm grateful for my blessings. Crossing my fingers through the next load of laundry. I'm sure there's a trap or something somewhere I need to be cleaning, which I'm pretty sure would mean suitin' up and gettin' down in my crawl space under the house. Hopin' to avoid that. It's sunny out but it's a whopping 4 degrees farenheit outside right now. Thank you again for replying. - Angela
Angela, it can get a bit hairy crawling under the home if you never have done it before. If you have PVC drain pipes it is not too bad to remove clean out plugs but it still can take some brawn. If it is cast iron, don't try, hire someone.

Your clog is somewhere past the tub or washing machine. The lint like material could be from the washing machine if something fell apart while washing or just years of drain water with lint in it. Sometimes a light block like too much paper will slowly dissolve and with a little pressure it can easily let loose and drain.

Awindspirit

Reaction score
Woo Hoo! Now I know what that little door is for on the front of my washer!! There was a piece of plastic or clothing label, a sticker from a new pair of jeans, stuck in it. - Thanks everyone for your replies. I so appreciate it in my time of panic! I think things are going to be o.k. And I know where I can turn if there's a next time. Thank you everyone!! :) - Angela

Awindspirit

Reaction score
Angela, it can get a bit hairy crawling under the home if you never have done it before. If you have PVC drain pipes it is not too bad to remove clean out plugs but it still can take some brawn. If it is cast iron, don't try, hire someone.

Your clog is somewhere past the tub or washing machine. The lint like material could be from the washing machine if something fell apart while washing or just years of drain water with lint in it. Sometimes a light block like too much paper will slowly dissolve and with a little pressure it can easily let loose and drain.
Thank you. Yea that first link showing under the house were definitely intimidating. I would've pulled out the washer from its tight confinement first. Looks like I don't have to do neither, this time. Thank you so much for replying. I appreaciate you! - Angela

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks