Venting through a double Wye Tee

Users who are viewing this thread

shelski

Reaction score
I want to re-route my 3" ABS vertical main stack through a wall in the 2nd story bathroom. I want to use a double wye tee. One 45 to be toilet drain, the other 45 to offset the stack to continue through the roof. The center 3" opening would be capped. [See diagram] This is to avoid cutting a floor joist. Is this a workable solution?

Attachments

• scan0015-02.jpg
    scan0015-02.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 1,634

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
My guess is that solids from the toilet could catch and build up on the other side of the wye and at least partially clog the vent, but what is the small line connected to that other side? If that is a sink drain, it would probably help keep the vent branch clear.

BAPlumber

Plumber
Reaction score
why not lower your closet bend so the horizontal part passes under the joist. Then use a sanitary tee to connect to the vent stack.

Brent

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
thatt should be ok

I cant remember wether that is called
its either a glorified " stack arm" or a " Stack vent"
or "wet vent"

the 3 inch stack is large enough to vent both
the toilet and the arm going somewhere else....

the double wye like you got will work fine....

I am sure someone out there knows the right
term I am grasping for....

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

Most inspectors would turn down the installation because your toilet drain is rising, or dropping depending on which direction you follow the flow, before the vent.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
if i read your diagram right, i see on the left a vented stack, and on the right a toilet waste arm, not a branch that has more than one fixture on it. I guess the floor joist is above the double Wye.

It is important in the explanation whether the toilet is all alone or is branched to other fixtures before its pipe connects to the stack.

A drain has to be vented before it goes straight down, and a 45 degree angle down is the same thing. An AAV adds venting before the downward turn. AAV packaging warns you that you have to have real venting too, soon after the AAV.

The way you have proposed it, is worse than if you had proposed adding an AAV to the waste arm.

My saying this is not a recommendation to use an AAV. Many other factors still have to be included. I have not seen your house's plumbing; i do not know your local codes, i am not a master plumber; i don't know whether you have the right to install things that may be acceptable under some lenient codes and not under other stricter codes.

If you had a hand rinse sink near the toilet, and its drain was vented and connected to the toilet "branch" then you would have wet vented the toilet waste arm. Why is there no sink near the toilet?

david

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
P trap in Wall Mount toilets. Not S trap. Rear spud. rear outlet. makes it a P trap. Maybe inall cses, maybe only in some.
jimbo said:
Toilets work BECAUSE they are an S-trap . Hence, they also have a refill operation.
Some people hate the idea that a typical toilet is an S trap, and that LETS some sewer gases escape during flushing. The refill device is small and ineffective; it cannot stop some small amount of gas from coming out.

Do we all realize what a health hazard that is? SARS and other diseases come through the drain systems when people flush.

I'll go look at how much refill there is in my two different wall-mount toilets. They are hanging on Geberit carriers.

David

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks