vent and whole house trap

Users who are viewing this thread

ddurand

Reaction score
Assuming all fixtures are properly vented, is there any need for a vent just before a whole house trap? I am not thrilled about having a whole house trap and may remove in the future, but current there is a open piece of pipe (pointing up) in the basement just before the whole house trap. I am not sure if it should be capped or a pop up vent or vented to the outside. Is this vent letting air in or out? (Guess I can check that with some saran wrap over if).

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
You shouldn't have any open pipes in the house.
I would assume it is a drain pipe for a future bathroom if needed.
You can cap it of with a test or permanet cap.
It would let air in and out and the in air you don't want.:(

Dubldare

Plumber/Gasfitter
Reaction score
If you are required to have a whole house trap, then yes, it does require venting on it's downstream side. Such a vent serves to ventilate the city's sanitary sewer system, and to equalize pressures between it and your "hopefully" properly vented plumbing system.

And yes, it should vent to the outside.

ddurand

Reaction score
vent

OK, when you say downside I assume you mean between the whole house trap and the septic. But no need for one between the fixtures and the whole house trap. (The fixtures are properly vented, this would be an additional vent just before the whole house trap).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks