Using stainless VS brass

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score

Bannerman

Reaction score
Not understanding why you want to alter the short section of poly pipe leading directly from the well as the connection on the right side of the pressure tank will provide equal access to water.

While you said you want to plumb an iron reduction system directly after the pressure tank, there will be sufficient new piping between the PT and an iron reduction system to allow your outdoor water to be easily obtained from before the iron reduction system.

BobMane

Reaction score
SIDR polyethene pipe or ASTM D2239.

https://www.astm.org/Standards/D2239.htm says the D2239 spec is "Standard Specification for Polyethylene (PE) Plastic Pipe (SIDR-PR) Based on Controlled Inside Diameter". http://www.carlonsales.com/techinfo/faqs/FAQ-HDPE.pdf says "SIDR stands for Standard Inside Diameter Ratio, which is the inside diameter divided by the wall thickness."
And can the standard fitting found at Home Depot work with this pipe? For example stuff like this https://www.lowes.com/pd/Genova-1-1-4-in-Dia-Insert-Coupling/3455124

BobMane

Reaction score
Not understanding why you want to alter the short section of poly pipe leading directly from the well as the connection on the right side of the pressure tank will provide equal access to water.

While you said you want to plumb an iron reduction system directly after the pressure tank, there will be sufficient new piping between the PT and an iron reduction system to allow your outdoor water to be easily obtained from before the iron reduction system.
I might replace the Pressure tank anyway and if I do I would have to alter that section anyway. If I do I thought it would add flexibility to put a Tee inline and direct outdoor water on that side. But you are right, it might be easier to branch off on the other side. In either case I am considering transitioning to PVC as soon as possible since it is easier to work with. It is funny, being new to well water systems I thought there was a reason to use the fancy metal fittings but I have since seen some people say all PVC is actually better...make me wonder if that is true.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
It is funny, being new to well water systems I thought there was a reason to use the fancy metal fittings but I have since seen some people say all PVC is actually better...make me wonder if that is true.

Being new to well water, if you want some real improvement in pressure and make everything last longer, when you replace the tank use a Cycle Stop Valve like comes in the PK1A kit.

WY_WaterWellGuy

Reaction score
Having installed a fair amount of both stainless and brass tank fittings, I would say the leak rate is roughly the same. But stainless is definitely a lot trickier to work with than brass. Like previous comments mentioned, make sure you use a good, thick Teflon tape (I usually use Millrose Stainless Steel tape) in addition to pipe dope (I like Gasoila myself). If you’re just doing 1” or 1.25” you shouldn’t need anything bigger than a couple 18” pipe wrenches. Just get it snug and then an additional 1/2 to 1 more full turn and you should be good to go.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks