Urinal outlet flange question

Users who are viewing this thread

SoreThumbs

Reaction score
Can some describe the proper way a urinal flange in installed. Is it like a toilet flange, where the flange is secured tightly to the wall with screws? Or does the flange "float" and is only tightened to the urinal fixture itself? Any help, tricks, or best practices with this would be greatly apricated!

SoreThumbs

Reaction score
Thanks John! How should the pipe be secured to framing in this situation? Rock solid, or with a little movement so the urinal can pull and move the flange/seal closer when the nuts are tightened to the flange bolts?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
rock solid but I use the slight give idea to my advantage on some stuff. Ive had to custom cut nipples and even braze nipples on to flanges with horrible rough ins and of cource the old remove santee and use a clean out for some rat outfits I worked for.
roughed in deep in the wall and strapped solid is favorite way though

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
The last piece of pipe you put in will need to be cut very precisely. That will leave the back of the flange up against the finished wall. Once you have that pretty exact then the seal will be made with the gasket. The gasket will compress as you tighten the urinal to the flange. Generally the flange is brass, threaded female, and supplied with the urinal. Also supplied with the urinal should be the gasket. You won't need any movement from the pipe. There might be some deflection depending on how well your flange nipple is cut. But generally when you screw the flange up against the wall it is not easily moved by the end of the process.

SoreThumbs

Reaction score
The urinal is Zurn and the supplied flange is stiff black plastic (nylon?) material, yes with female threads (2" IPS I think). The flange bolts are odd. They're just threaded rod (studs?) with no head, so not a bolt at all. They thread into tapped holes in the flange, and acorn nuts are suppled to secure the urinal to studs/flange.

How should the male threads on the pipe be placed in relation to the finished wall before I start screwing on the flange? flush or recessed, if recessed how far?

Last edited:

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
What I usually do for a urinal is, thread a sched. 80 nipple into the flange and thread it tight and sealed with tape and dope. Once it's threaded onto the flange you can get a clear and accurate measurement from the hub in the wall to the back of the flange. This all assumes your using pvc or abs. Then you cut your length and glue it in tight to the wall. If you wanted to could leave the nipple threaded in where you know there's another half turn in it. Then glue it and tighten it the last half turn to suck it up to the wall, after the glue is 100 percent cured. Generally I just cut it and glue it and press really hard until the glue drys and it's tight to the wall.

Those studs that came with your urinal are fine you just may want to drill some holes in the finished wall right where they go so they can penetrate the surface while you tighten the acorn caps.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I might trash the plastic flange and get a brass one. But that would be a judgment call. Seems like the ears would be too flexible to me, but maybe not.

SoreThumbs

Reaction score
What I usually do for a urinal is, thread a sched. 80 nipple into the flange and thread it tight and sealed with tape and dope. Once it's threaded onto the flange you can get a clear and accurate measurement from the hub in the wall to the back of the flange. This all assumes your using pvc or abs. Then you cut your length and glue it in tight to the wall. If you wanted to could leave the nipple threaded in where you know there's another half turn in it. Then glue it and tighten it the last half turn to suck it up to the wall, after the glue is 100 percent cured. Generally I just cut it and glue it and press really hard until the glue drys and it's tight to the wall.

Those studs that came with your urinal are fine you just may want to drill some holes in the finished wall right where they go so they can penetrate the surface while you tighten the acorn caps.
Exactly what I needed, in fact you answered my next question already, how to teflon tape the threads. I've got way more confidence in the install now, thanks a million

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks