Upstairs bathroom to downstairs kitchen sink

Users who are viewing this thread

Chadslost

Reaction score
Greetings,

DIY plumber here getting ready for a rough in inspection in Missouri. I just wanted to make sure this will pass?

It’s an upstairs bathroom sink draining to a downstairs kitchen sink drain through the foundation with the kitchen sink vent above. All 2” PVC.

I really appreciate any feedback and wanted to give a huge thanks to everyone, I’ve learned so much from these forums!!

Attachments

• 6F121971-6C85-47D3-8475-58910C3D61C5.jpeg
    6F121971-6C85-47D3-8475-58910C3D61C5.jpeg
    92.3 KB · Views: 84

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Dry vents may not be horizontal unless 6" or more above the fixture flood rim.

Cheers, Wayne

Chadslost

Reaction score
Dry vents may not be horizontal unless 6" or more above the fixture flood rim.

Cheers, Wayne
Does that mean above the upstairs sink flood rim or the kitchen sink flood rim? If it’s the kitchen sink then I believe this should work?

I appreciate the feedback Wayne!!

Attachments

• FFFFAF0B-27F6-4508-B017-75749A2CF0B5.jpeg
    FFFFAF0B-27F6-4508-B017-75749A2CF0B5.jpeg
    86.8 KB · Views: 61

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
It's the flood rim of any fixture served by the horizontal vent segment, so in this case the downstairs kitchen sink. If your downstairs vent joins the upstairs sink vent, that joint too must be at least 6" above the fixture flood rim, in this case both fixtures.

As to your picture, I can't tell what the sink flood rim height is, but if your counters are 36" above the finish floor (AFF), and your sink is undermount, then then horizontal vent section should be 42" AFF or higher.

Cheers, Wayne

Chadslost

Reaction score
It's the flood rim of any fixture served by the horizontal vent segment, so in this case the downstairs kitchen sink. If your downstairs vent joins the upstairs sink vent, that joint too must be at least 6" above the fixture flood rim, in this case both fixtures.

As to your picture, I can't tell what the sink flood rim height is, but if your counters are 36" above the finish floor (AFF), and your sink is undermount, then then horizontal vent section should be 42" AFF or higher.

Cheers, Wayne
Thanks for the crystal clear reply!

One last question I wasn’t able to find a clear answer to in the codes but I did read in a forum that it is ok.

Is one 22.5 degree permitted before the 6”? I want to get the vent pipe in the wall under the counter.

Attachments

• BD537642-3550-4E56-BB42-539E61D83277.jpeg
    BD537642-3550-4E56-BB42-539E61D83277.jpeg
    91.4 KB · Views: 70
  • D7F8B379-8410-41A8-A4D6-B60CE01BA830.jpeg
    D7F8B379-8410-41A8-A4D6-B60CE01BA830.jpeg
    91.4 KB · Views: 68

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Per the definition of "vertical" in the plumbing code, any pipe less than 45 degrees from plumb is considered vertical.

Cheers, Wayne

Daniel Collick

Still learning.
Reaction score
Website
www.bestrooterservice.com
Whitney is correct about the horizontal portion of the downstairs kitchen vent.
Just couple things I see in your pictures:
1. It’s not uncommon to see vents, especially in these scenarios, piped horizontally below the flood rim, but it needs to be treated as a drain until it is above the flood rim. Meaning it needs to be graded 1/4 per foot, and the 90’s that are below the flood rim that change direction from horizontal to horizontal or from horizontal upwards need to be long turn 90’s. It’s likely that an inspection in our area would approve the vent being below flood-rim but I’d expect them to require that it turn horizontally as high as possible instead of down low where you have it currently.
2. Once the vent is piped to the upstairs don’t tie it into any other vents until both are above the flood rim of their respective fixtures.
3. The fitting you used downstairs looks like a sanitary cross and, if so, should not be used to join two horizontal waste pipes. In our area we’re only allowed to use the sanitary cross to tie vents together.

Chadslost

Reaction score
Whitney is correct about the horizontal portion of the downstairs kitchen vent.
Just couple things I see in your pictures:
1. It’s not uncommon to see vents, especially in these scenarios, piped horizontally below the flood rim, but it needs to be treated as a drain until it is above the flood rim. Meaning it needs to be graded 1/4 per foot, and the 90’s that are below the flood rim that change direction from horizontal to horizontal or from horizontal upwards need to be long turn 90’s. It’s likely that an inspection in our area would approve the vent being below flood-rim but I’d expect them to require that it turn horizontally as high as possible instead of down low where you have it currently.
2. Once the vent is piped to the upstairs don’t tie it into any other vents until both are above the flood rim of their respective fixtures.
3. The fitting you used downstairs looks like a sanitary cross and, if so, should not be used to join two horizontal waste pipes. In our area we’re only allowed to use the sanitary cross to tie vents together.
I appreciate the clarification on points 1 and 2!

As far as point 3, would this adjustment work pictured below?

Also, it looks like in the drawing you sent shows a clean out below the drains. Is that required?

Thanks for the help with this!!

Attachments

• B0B926AB-EDCF-4F2F-B18D-29B44C6FA2B6.jpeg
    B0B926AB-EDCF-4F2F-B18D-29B44C6FA2B6.jpeg
    94.3 KB · Views: 62

Daniel Collick

Still learning.
Reaction score
Website
www.bestrooterservice.com
I appreciate the clarification on points 1 and 2!

As far as point 3, would this adjustment work pictured below?

Also, it looks like in the drawing you sent shows a clean out below the drains. Is that required?

Thanks for the help with this!!
Yessir. That will work. If you can make room for one I’d still try to fit in a clean out where you’ve got a 2” coupling just above the concrete. If you’re required to put a head pressure test on those fittings for inspection you can use a Holdrite test tee that works very well for test.

Attachments

• IMG_1853.jpeg
    IMG_1853.jpeg
    11.1 KB · Views: 62

Chadslost

Reaction score
I took your advice and added in the clean out.

I appreciate the help guys! Let me know if your every in the Kansas City area, BBQ dinner is on me.

Attachments

• 3C2C9981-03F9-41F9-A0D5-FD276B7F7B2B.jpeg
    3C2C9981-03F9-41F9-A0D5-FD276B7F7B2B.jpeg
    89.9 KB · Views: 69
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks