Users who are viewing this thread

DIYorBust

Reaction score
None of this makes me worry about my tub as a DIYer unlikely to sue myself. If the hot supply is only 120 the scald risk is pretty much addressed. The air gap is the part that's more difficult to address.

But I read the article, and I'd really like to understand this. If the vent comes off the radiator, that is a deadly situation? I had it happen once where the threads rusted out and someone bumped it. Water came out and some steam, but no one was harmed and the room did not become a death chamber. If this could really kill people, I'd probably re tap all my radiators and maybe switch over to a different heat source. But I've lived with steam heat all my life and no one ever died or even got burned. What's the deal?

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Water @120 in a tank is an amazing incubator for all types of bacteria to thrive .

To kill dangerous bacteria you need at least 140 in the tank F and for a dish washer to work properly you need 140 -160 residential and commercial is 160 -180 in lieu of chemical sterilization same with commercial laundries

About the Air vent read all the articles posted as I cannot state what actually I suspect happened as I am on retainer for the drug addicts law firm

There was NO "explosion" that is FAKE NEWS but to poison the jury fake news is posted so the jury is already biased

Each fake news reporter gives a different lie about the steam related deaths

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf...hUKEwjC-bbR0_bnAhWmlnIEHWcuAB4Q4dUDCAs&uact=5

Matthew Gordon

Reaction score
Has anyone seen a tub fill spout like this? (pics below). Its very unusual in a few ways - very low profile and no sharp edges & the water in the tub can be filled to the rim of the tub (fill spout submerged) since the spout blocks the overflow and somehow sealed. (I've taken a deep bath in the tub pictured a few years ago and recently got the owner to send me pics. I searched online for it all day yesterday and can't find anything close. She says the 3 lever delta handle set (not pictured) was installed right after she bought the house, but the porcelain single lever mixing valve (disfunctional at this point?) and the spout were already there, so maybe they are associated with each other? I'll be putting in a floor drain and the installation is not being inspected, so I'm okay with not having an overflow.

View attachment 59646
Can This tub spout be taken off and replaced with a new one, hoping its a threaded design, helping a friend.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Tank is at 180 with a mixing valve. Killer radiator seems doubtful.

A tempering valve is NOT considered an anti scald device as it is slow acting to temper the water to a safe degree

About a killer radiator

If someone with little or no knowledge of a steam system decided to throttle the incoming steam by partially closing the radiator valve on a one pipe system as is common with a hydronics system the condensate is supposed to flow back into the supply line

By having the valve half way open the condensate is restricted from flowing back as the boiler comes on again and then hydro static shock (water hammer) can cause a pipe to bust or in this case I would testify the shock caused the air vent to blow off the radiator

As an expert I would love to take this case on for the building owners insurance company

But I was already retained by the plaintiff so I have to give an expert "opinion" what may have caused the air vent to fly off

DIYorBust

Reaction score
Can This tub spout be taken off and replaced with a new one, hoping its a threaded design, helping a friend.

Yes it can be removed, but you are unlikely to find a replacement as these haven't been made in decades. If you are interested in restoring it or working on it, I suggest you reach out to DEA Bathroom Machineries in CA. https://deabath.com/ They have a lot of experience with this type of bath faucet, and can even make parts custom. However it's not cheap. If the spout is in bad shape, perhaps it can be removed and re-chromed. But it's risky, and I would be careful since the parts are out of production.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks