Unglog Toilet Methods?

Users who are viewing this thread

Cbrace55

Reaction score
Kohler toilet, 4 years old. Three times more costly than the American Standard in other bathroom. Clogs qiute often. What is your go to unclogging method if plunging doesn’t work.

Reach4

Reaction score
Depends.

Is there a clog in the toilet trapway, closet auger.

If there is a clog below the floor, get your drains snaked.

1. How quickly does the water recede?
2. If you wait 1/2 hour, and flush does the water take longer to back up, or about the same. If longer, that would tend to point to a clog downstream some.

On thing that you can try is to get a big container, at least 5 gallons. Pour water into the bowl from the container from as high as you readily can as fast as you dare. The deluge may wash the obstruction thru.

If the toilet is closer to the septic tank, it may be that your septic tank needs pumping.

So various things can be the cause of what you describe.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Depends on what clogged it.

1. Get a better plunger that holds more volume and seals better to the bowl. Burp out trapped air so the plunger moves more liquid. Try to get the plunger to work on the upstroke as well.
2. Fill the bowl as high as you dare to have more pressure against the plunger.
3. Till the bowl with warm water to soak and soften the stool but not so hot that it melts the wax ring.

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
some say liquid dish soap can lubricate and make stuff move. I try iot sometimes I think it can help, not like a magic trick but seems to help sometimes

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
I will not install or service a Kohler toilet. Gerber avalanche is cheap and never gets a stoppage.

I installed over 10,500 Gerber and Crane toilets during the NYC toilet change out not a single call back .

One thing I must say about Kohler they advertise "The Bold Look" but I never saw the word quality in their advertisements.

One of my accounts bought a "Kohler" from a fancy plumbing store ball cock for $78.00 I did not want to tell her it was a Fluid-master 400 A and at that time they cost $3.19 and the rubber disc cost .75

I found it amazing that the plumbers who did install a Kohler left a plunger along side with their company name on it.

Another toilet I will not install or service is a Flushmate pressure assisted toilet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks