Understanding Cold Issue

Users who are viewing this thread

RetiredMT

Reaction score
I have a Lochinvar Model WHB-155N Series 100 boiler. It and the house is 3 years old. I live in the mountains in Montana where the winters are long and cold. Season 1 the boiler worked perfectly. 2 and 3 there are issues and I've basically replaced everything inside (gas valve, computer boards, fan motor, etc.) Now what's happening is when it's EXTREMELY cold outside (-15 F and below), the boiler appears to be struggling. When all zones are calling for heat, the boiler does not go into high fire mode. I've talked with Lochinvar tech support and based on the numbers I give them, they say the boiler is operating the way it's programmed. Can anyone help me? TIA

Also, getting a tech where I live is really difficult and I've already spent $1500 on repairs.

RetiredMT

Reaction score
What are your water temps, heat emitters ? In and out of the boiler?
I know this might not exactly answer your questions, but this boiler works perfectly until the outdoor temperatures get super cold. Then as the house starts to cool off and all zones call for heat, the %flame never goes over 35% and the outgoing temperature of the water is no greater than 90F. I was wondering if the outside sensor would have something to do with this? Not sure.

Attachments

• 20221231_074426.jpg
    20221231_074426.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 67
  • 20221231_074439.jpg
    20221231_074439.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 75

RetiredMT

Reaction score

Fitter30

Reaction score
Outdoor sensor can be seen on screen page 73 install manual. Sensor goes to -50°
Also look at outdoor parameters or turn it off. Just set a temperature. Might just check incoming gas pressure need 11"
Piping from tank regulator at tank ( tank to 10lbs)
Regulator at house 10 lbs to (11 - 12")
Looked at specs on a Emerson reg operating temp to -20° look at the specs.

Dustbunny

Reaction score
My oil fired boiler doesn't seem to have a stated minimum operating temp. listed. Last winter ( it's first year in a 1990 house) , it would not fire off when the outside temp was below zero. Nothing particular seemed to solve it after it happened 3 times.

This winter, I plan on disconnecting and capping the outside air intake when it will be below zero and see if cold intake air is the problem or if it's something to do with chimney/draft.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Boiler get serviced once a year? Do they use a flue analyzer ? Heating oil freezes at 16°. Outside air open all time or does it have a motorized damper?

RetiredMT

Reaction score
Boiler get serviced once a year? Do they use a flue analyzer ? Heating oil freezes at 16°. Outside air open all time or does it have a motorized damper?
Yes it's service annually. However everything is practically new since May of '22. Yes outside air is open all of the time because this boiler also services our hot water. Our house has in floor radiant heat throughout the house and garage. Yes an analyzer is used and everything is within spec.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks