Ultramax doesn't fit

Users who are viewing this thread

marge

Reaction score
Not a DIYer, just a clueless customer looking for some guidance. One of the 3 Ultramax toilets we bought (thanks to lurking on this site) to replace the nasty first generation low flows in our new (to us) house does not fit. I don't know how to describe this problem. If you can see the photos, I think you will see the slant, it is because of the location of the pipe. Also, the plumber had to use a lot of shims to get this the right height. So the toilet is sitting on an inch of silicone, which looks odd. Can you recommend a toilet that will fit properly? We bought the Ultramax based on this site and figured you might have a recommendation.

Btw, this site is a great service. Thanks.

Attachments

• pipe IMG_4059.jpg
    pipe IMG_4059.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 507
  • silicone 2 IMG_4058.jpg
    silicone 2 IMG_4058.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 498
  • toilet 2 IMG_4056.jpg
    toilet 2 IMG_4056.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 514

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
shims

I am not sure what you mean about using shims to get it to the correct height. The correct height means it is sitting on the floor. The ONLY reason for shims would be if the floor was not level, and if it is 1" out of level from the front to the back, or side to side, you have a more serious problem than the water line. At this point there is no good solution if you want to use that toilet because the water line is in the wrong location for it. You either have to relocate the water line or get a toilet with a different shape.

ms604-footprint.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Move the supply pipe or buy a different toilet. While a floor supply can work, it is more common to have it come out of the wall, and even then it could be a problem if it is right behind the toilet. The spec sheets for many toilets can be found on the manufacturer's website. It shows the preferred position of things, and the footprint. You can't blame this on the toilet...you'll have the same problem with many toilets and not just this one. Others from Toto would likely fit that can work as well or better.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Are you telling us a "real, live licensed plumber did that! That is so wrong and reasonably able to be corrected that it defies belief. Yes, the supply line is really supposed to come out of the wall, but it will work just fine coming through the floor. It just has to be moved to the side so the toilet base will clear it. You might have a bit of a hole in the floor to patch, or a tile to replace, but a patch would sure look better than what the plumber left you!

marge

Reaction score
I think it's because our floor is crooked, but then again, the silicon seems to be the same height all the way around. I also remember hearing the word "collar" in the explanation. I'll check.

marge

Reaction score
I'm glad to know I'm not crazy to be dissatisfied with this. My first preference would be able to go to them and say, "this doesn't work, we want X toilet instead." Second choice, if we can't find one that fits without having to break the tile, we'll have them come back and do the patch.

marge

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback!

I'm aggravated they didn't tell us the toilet wouldn't fit in this bathroom, we'd have kept the old one in there until we could choose something else. But, as dissatisfied as I am about this, I really hate having to be a nuisance. So I really appreciate the feedback.

At first, after it was installed, the plumber said he'd have had to cut a hole in our ceiling below the bathroom to get the pipe in the right place. A supervisor came over and looked at it, over a week later (took time for us to schedule), said they'd only have to cut the tile and move the pipe.

This is a not inexpensive heating/cooling/plumbing company in Evanston, Illinois, well recommended. We've used them for installing AC and a dehumidifier. Also for the record, the other two ultramax toilets they installed look fine. But they're not a union shop. I'm hoping that knowing what's a reasonable outcome, and asking for the appropriate fix, will enable us to take care of this. I'm not confident though, because we've let it go on for a few weeks now.

Anyway, THANKS again. I'll post when I know why the toilet isn't right on the floor. The bathroom is in a dormer of an older, 1920s I think, dutch colonial.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Since the floor is tile, it would probably be better to reroute the pipe and come through the wall. A section of wall is much easier to fix than a tile floor. Don't blame the toilet for the problem. The supply line should not be through the floor in the first place, and more importantly, rerouteing the line would have avoided the problem. You have excellent toilets, just deal with the supply line location.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The only reason I can see for the toilet being that high, is that the flange is too high under the bowl.

Some "old" bowls have more room underneath.
I have found a few surprises myself.
But a bowl shimmined one inch?
I've never seen that.
Something must be very high for that to be.

I have seen the drain lowered, or I have seen plates put under the tub as spacers.
Well, I have seen a few that were shimmed, but your's is the highest I have seen.

marge

Reaction score
Today the third "plumber" came over, he was going to break the tile, move the shut off valve and straighten the toilet. Our plan was to live with grout or mismatched tile until we remodel, just aren't ready to do that right now.

In terms of the height, shim situation, "it is what it is." We've been told the reason for that is the collar is too high. And maybe also that the floor has settled. They've said there's nothing we can do about that except fix our floor. We aren't arguing with them about that but, now that I read this posts again, maybe we need to.

Once today's guy took the toilet out he saw there was a beam in the way and he'd have to rip up more of the floor than he was told. He wants to go in through the ceiling of the room below. (Which is what the first guy said when he justified the crooked installation--yes, after it was done--to my husband.)

We can't move the valve/pipe to the wall because it's an outside wall.

They won't work with us to see if there's a toilet that would fit this space without having to break tile, tear up our ceiling, etc....

We're getting an opinion from a real (union) plumber on Monday. Going to see what he says about the height and the valve problem. We have friends who are in the market for a new toilet. Maybe we could sell this one and replace it with one that would fit, if we can find one. We'd lose some money but it might be worth it. This is a great toilet--we really like them in the other 2 bathrooms--but I don't want to have to tear up the bathroom, remodel before we're ready to, just to keep it.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
plumber

Do not equate "union" with "real" plumber. It does not automatically make them a super being. If the line cannot be moved to the wall because of the beam, then it can either be moved further sideways or back. The beam cannot block it in both directions. And ANY flange can be replaced with one at the proper elevation, if you get a "good" plumber not necessarily a "union" one.

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
:( Was hoping to post about the supply requiring the floor penetration because of the exterior wall but anyway I think the poster is saying that the plumber found a beam in the way of the toilet flange. Time for someone to get creative with a sawzall. Talking about notching the subfloor not the beam.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
That huge bead of silicone is an invitation to dirt and mold....your wife will not be happy cleaning this area. And if you mop the floor, is water going to run down around the supply pipe?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks