Tub, toilet and lav using a wet vent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Marzec

Reaction score
This layout is for a small bathroom in an apartment with a garage underneath. Is this a good plumbing design that meets code (I've attempted to do so)? Or would it be better to tie the tub drain in closer to the 3" vertical stack? Any other suggestions?

PXL_20231209_020723833.jpg

Marzec

Reaction score
only need 1 1/2" dry vent
Thanks for your input. Why is a dry vent needed in addition to the wet vent? This diagram is similar to one out of the IPC except in that example there is a horizontal main line rather than a vertical stack.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
At top of your drawing where you wrote "wet vent " that section is a dry vent and can be 1 1/2 down to the san tee so the san tee would be 2x 1 1/2 x1 1/2

Marzec

Reaction score
At top of your drawing where you wrote "wet vent " that section is a dry vent and can be 1 1/2 down to the san tee so the san tee would be 2x 1 1/2 x1 1/2
Now I understand what you meant. I thought you were saying I needed to add a dry vent to complete the design. But you're saying the dry vent section only needs to be 1 1/2".

I labeled it "wet vent" since it becomes a wet vent below the lav drain, but where I labeled it it's definitely dry. Thanks for pointing out that distinction. Also, there is an existing 2" galvanized steel dry vent (transitioning to 4" CI through the roof) already in place so I'll just be using a no hub fitting above the lav drain and transitioning to 2" PVC.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
A vertical wet vent needs to be two sizes bigger than the drain served. Since your tub is 1.5" the section that vents the toilet and serves the tub should be 3"pipe. I think this is true in the ipc, I know it's true in the upc.

It's possible I'm wrong and the ipc wet vent sections are governed by fixture units. You'd have to look in the related sections to find out that sections pipe size to be sure.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
A vertical wet vent needs to be two sizes bigger than the drain served.
It's just one pipe size larger, not two, for the UPC:

For the IPC, wet vent sizing doesn't differentiate between horizontal and vertical. And just two fixtures on a vertical wet vent is considered "common venting at different levels," rather than vertical wet venting, which is restricted to bathroom groups.

Cheers, Wayne

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Now I understand what you meant. I thought you were saying I needed to add a dry vent to complete the design. But you're saying the dry vent section only needs to be 1 1/2".

I labeled it "wet vent" since it becomes a wet vent below the lav drain, but where I labeled it it's definitely dry. Thanks for pointing out that distinction. Also, there is an existing 2" galvanized steel dry vent (transitioning to 4" CI through the roof) already in place so I'll just be using a no hub fitting above the lav drain and transitioning to 2" PVC.
Great its all good ! just use the proper band if its being inspected, here is a little tip, run your pvc above the sink top around 6 inches for your plastic to gal connection because water will never be there and it will never be cause of a leak

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
It's just one pipe size larger, not two, for the UPC:

Sorry yes. But this section would still needs to be 3" under upc. As there's more than one fixture draining into the vertical wet vent we would need to be one pipe size larger than the combined dfu minimum. Minimum pipe size for 3 dfu's would be 2". We then go up to 3".

IPC is outta my range slowly learning it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks