Tub P-trap move

Users who are viewing this thread

MG68

Reaction score
Installing a new bath tub. Looking at a tub with a center drain, which means moving the current drain. Please see the pic. The view is looking straight down at the floor. The bigger pipe is a 2" coming from my 2 sinks and heads to the toilet and shower after the tub hook in. The smaller piping is 1 1/2". I would like to re-locate the drain to where the white cap is. My plan was to cut out the old trap which would leave about a 2" inch piece of the 1 1/2" pipe sticking out of the joist. Then attach a long sweep 90 to run parallel to the joists. Next attach a straight piece of 1 1/2" about 24" long. Lastly attach a new trap to that. Any issues with that? Design? Distance from vent to new trap?

Assuming that's OK, my follow up is, on the 24" run do I need to pitch that using the 1/4" per foot rule? If so (feel stupid asking) how do you accurately do that? Would I rotate the long sweep 90 so it creates the proper pitch for the 24" piece? And, how do you accurately measure the 1/4" drop to be sure it isn't too much or too little?

I can always chicken out and get a tub with a side drain as a last resort if I don't feel comfortable. Thanks for any assistance!

tub drain.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The long turn 90 works and it does need the 2% grade on the pipe. 1/4" per foot.
The lavs run in 2" are wet venting the tub.

Some center drained use something like this for the drain connection above the p-trap.

rapidconnect-terrylove-1.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks