Trouble snaking bathtub drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Brian121

Reaction score
We have a clog in our bathtub. The drain has one of those metal discs in it so you can't push anything through. I've got a homeowner snake but having trouble. The picture shows the plumbing underneath. Long pipe up is the overflow, horizontal coming from the drain. The clog I believe is in that horizontal pipe.

Interesting note, there is no stopper or linkage assembly at all in the overflow pipe. Is that normal?

I can't get the snake to negotiate that 90 degree turn where the 2 meet. If I feed it in from the overflow up top it goes straight down past it. If I feed it in from the trap underneath it goes straight up.

Do you have any tips on how to get in there?
Thanks!

20210705_152817.jpg

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I got a RIDGID PowerSpin Plus.
ridgid-snake-145.jpg

I powered it with a drill.

I bought it for a lavatory drain, and it worked great for me. I actually went through the 1-1/4 trap, and before I knew it, it had played out about 12 ft of snake, and the blockage several feet below the santee had been cleared. I was prepared to enter at the trap adapter on the santee, but thought I would try the lazy stay-dry top entry. I know it has limitations.

I only snaked through the trap in case it worked. I was expecting to have to do more disassembly. It was really handy to be able to run water during the snaking.

I am not sure which horizontal you are talking about, but either way I suspect my PowerSpin Plus could make it. I am thinking the spinning probably helps. That said, I have only used it the one time so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks