Tried to replace flush valve, now toilet is running

Users who are viewing this thread

EvaE1izabeth

Reaction score
I was determined to fix the toilet in my kids bathroom this weekend. It is a new construction Gerber toilet that is only a year old. I used the online tool at Korky to enter the model number from the tank. I intended to only replace the flush valve with the Korky, but my local hardware store only had the complete kit, so I decided to just install all of it.

When I got home I took apart the tank and could not get off the nut on the bottom of the tank to attach the flapper valve. At this point I noticed the the hole and nut were larger than 3”. So I went to a different hardware store, which is a small one near my house, to get a tool to remove it and also found a 3” Korky flapper kit. I put the whole thing together, and then when I went to put the tank on the base I noticed that it looks like the foam is too large. I mean, I know it’s not supposed to just set right down in there, but the seal seems to be about an inch wider. At this point I got my husband involved, and he said the seal is supposed to compress down anyway. So we put it together, but the tank and the bowl do not touch, there is about 1/8-1/16 inch that won’t close, and the tank wobbles slightly. However, we finished the instructions for testing and everything seemed to work properly, no leaks, so I decided it was better than before and will be fine until we can replace the toilet, hopefully in the next couple of months. It seemed fine all day, although I don’t know how much my kids actually used it yesterday.

Someone used it in the night, and I woke up to the sound of the toilet running. I went and looked inside the tank and the tube from the flush valve to the flapper was constantly dripping a small amount of water. I tried adjusting the flow valve, which is the only thing I tried since I was half asleep, but adjusting it either way didn’t make a difference.

I wanted to just buy a new toilet from the start, but I couldn’t bring myself to do it right before Christmas because we just finished some other household repairs so it would eat into our holiday budget.

There have been a few weird things about this from the start. For one thing, I ended up having to guess as to the exact model because the model number I have pulled up 4 choices, and I never found it on the Gerber website. Yesterday I suspected that the original base and tank are not compatible, and at the very least need some kind of tapered gasket between them, but my husband thinks they’re fine.

I’m usually more patient and take the time to research and figure out what the problem is but with Thanksgiving coming up and a lot going on this week I’m on edge and I’m not handling this well. Is there any troubleshooting I can walk through?

Reach4

Reaction score
So we put it together, but the tank and the bowl do not touch, there is about 1/8-1/16 inch that won’t close, and the tank wobbles slightly.
You should tighten some more so there is only a paper sized gap as you wiggle the tank.

Someone used it in the night, and I woke up to the sound of the toilet running. I went and looked inside the tank and the tube from the flush valve to the flapper was constantly dripping a small amount of water. I tried adjusting the flow valve, which is the only thing I tried since I was half asleep, but adjusting it either way didn’t make a difference.
The refill tube from the fill valve should not go down the overflow tube, but should be held above the overflow tube by a clip made for the purpose. So water could siphon out, and cause the fill valve to turn on after an interval.

I wanted to just buy a new toilet from the start, but I couldn’t bring myself to do it right before Christmas because we just finished some other household repairs so it would eat into our holiday budget.
And now you feel invested in the current one. :-(

EvaE1izabeth

Reaction score
Yes, I definitely did more than I had to. I just needed to replace the flush valve, the only reason I did the whole kit is because I followed the instructions without reading ahead and in the beginning they have you completely disassemble the tank from the bowl assuming you’re using the whole kit. And once I reached that point I figured I might as well use the whole kit. Although a few minutes later, in frustration with being unable to remove the huge gasket for the flapper, I did try to reassemble and just replace the flush valve, but I couldn’t get the original foam gasket back on.

Yes, I did mix and match parts in the end to the larger size flapper unit, but it is supposed to be compatible with the flush valve.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A picture of what you have might help us help you.

Is the tank draining causing the fill valve to open to keep the tank level up, or is the fill valve just running all of the time? WHat is the water level? Is it overflowing into the overflow?

EvaE1izabeth

Reaction score
You should tighten some more so there is only a paper sized gap as you wiggle the tank.(
The gasket didn’t seem to be compressed properly, but I think I misunderstood how it’s supposed to compress. I thought it was supposed to sort of press itself inside the hole between the bowl and the tank. But it really just rests in between? The gasket from the Korky kit that was the standard size and ended up being wrong for the tank (because the tank is 3 1/4) appears at first glance to be the right size for the bowl, so I think that’s what’s throwing me off.

The refill tube from the fill valve should not go down the overflow tube, but should be held above the overflow tube by a clip made for the purpose. So water could siphon out, and cause the fill valve to turn on after an interval.
(

The tube is clipped but now that I’m looking at it again the tube seems arched. I think the flush valve and the flapper heights aren’t correct in relationship with each other. Or possibly the tube is a little bit too long so it’s curving slightly. I don’t dare cut the tube in case I need to adjust the height and it ends up being too short, so I’ll try to check the height of everything first. After walking away from it for a while I’m a lot less frustrated and I’ll have time to give it another try in the morning.

And now you feel invested in the current one. :-(
Exactly!

EvaE1izabeth

Reaction score
I turned the water off last night so just now I turned it back on to see about the tube. Based on my hazy memory, I thought the tube was running just a little bit of a drip all of the time, but then after a while it hit the overflow because I vaguely remember the tank emptying. Right now it isn’t running at all, but it’s filled about 1/2” past the water line. I could have sworn it wasn’t before. I think I do need to go back and double check the height and water line and everything. With the starting and stopping I probably messed something up there.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
"Right now it isn’t running at all, but it’s filled about 1/2” past the water line. I could have sworn it wasn’t before. I think I do need to go back and double check the height and water"

You can adjust the water level on the fill valve.
What kind do you have?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks