Trap water siphoned after a week of filling

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Another comment I dont see a proper wash machine drain any where show close ups we going to figure this out !

Lyn12

Reaction score
Jeff. The pic was taken 5 years ago. Its covered up by concrete. It took me years to figure the problem out so far with no plumbers being any help. Good to know the correct term is called "unvented drain". They other pipe goes to the wash machine and a new trap was put under the concrete also. I think it okay..

Lyn12

Reaction score
Jeff. The pic was taken 5 years ago. Its covered up by concrete. It took me years to figure the problem out so far with no plumbers being any help. Good to know the correct term is called "unvented drain". They other pipe goes to the wash machine and a new trap was put under the concrete also. I think it okay..
I will need to get some pics of the wash machine area. One plumber said that the place where the y is, is to far away from the main stack and causes siphoning. What do you think?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Wow I hate to pick at this I cant blame you but both appear wrong not good plumbers doing this work I suppose doing thier best I dont know. The stack distance has no bearing its done wrong not even close to right, who knows it looks like there is a sink down there too?

Lyn12

Reaction score
Wow I hate to pick at this I cant blame you but both appear wrong not good plumbers doing this work I suppose doing thier best I dont know. The stack distance has no bearing its done wrong not even close to right, who knows it looks like there is a sink down there too?
What do you think needs to be done to stop the siphoning? I wash machine drain area is okay. Its the drain isn't vented

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
basicaly cut the short piece with pipe between the p trap and wye install a combi on back with vent pointed up possibly a aav could go on instead of a real vent if your code allows.
The ptrap below the floor for washing machine has a similar problem except for my code would never allow a ptrap below floor if your code so allows a similar vent could be added or just remove the trap below floor and plumb it like a washing machine normaly is again maybe its some cold weather way of plumbing over there but I doubt it. 3rdly whats going on is there a sink I see how was that plumbed? no vent there either ? I gotta be suspect of everything I see or dont see

Lyn12

Reaction score
basicaly cut the short piece with pipe between the p trap and wye install a combi on back with vent pointed up possibly a aav could go on instead of a real vent if your code allows.
The ptrap below the floor for washing machine has a similar problem except for my code would never allow a ptrap below floor if your code so allows a similar vent could be added or just remove the trap below floor and plumb it like a washing machine normaly is again maybe its some cold weather way of plumbing over there but I doubt it. 3rdly whats going on is there a sink I see how was that plumbed? no vent there either ? I gotta be suspect of everything I see or dont see
There is a vent pipe for the wash machine in the wall to the attic and outside.

Lyn12

Reaction score
No sink. But wash machine pipes and trap. put water in the wash machine trap frequently.

Lyn12

Reaction score
No sick.

Lyn12

Reaction score
the same applys whether a ranch with basement or 2 story , facts are houses dont have sewer stink that are in proper condition. could be a lot of causes of stink , you havent explained the trap though is there a house trap ?
What about the entire house was replumbed that includes all underground and vents through roof? could be an open pipe inside a wall ? Have you tried plugging off the floor drain ?
Was the home totally remodeled maybe another trade ran a saw through a vent.
We are kinda stuck with 100 guesses .
Dozens of plumbers ? i dont work on those basement houses and also dont have homes that tie roof drains and drain tile into the sewer , could be an open line there . when was smoke test and sewer cam ?
some thoughts might pop up but only with your participation otherwise turn a top notch plumbing crew loose start the clock and open check book and pray
I have no idea what to do. I put a plug in the basement drain and it still stinks of sewer gas. I have a hose to the wash machine drain and run the water every day now there. I goes down the main line into the floor. All the windows open and a fan in window drawing the gas out. No help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks