Toto - Round, Standard Height, Sanigloss - Doesn't Exist?

Users who are viewing this thread

JayPlumb

Reaction score
So we want to go with Toto as they seem like great toilets. And of course very well reviewed.

Unfortunately not sure what to get at this point.

We need a round bowl due to dimension constraints. It's what we currently have and I find round perfectly comfortable, as does my wife.

We are both on shorter side and grew up with standard toilet height. It's far more comfortable than the 1.5" taller ADA height.

So, I thought I'd be going with the Drake (perhaps even the neat "transitional" tank style) but then read about the Sanigloss.

Well... it looks like there are zero toilets that are round and standard height with Sanigloss. We either need to go with the elongated or ADA.

Is it going to be a noticeable detriment to go without? Does Toto special order?

Any suggestions/advice?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It's nice to have the finish, but I've sold thousands without it too.
And yes, either elongated standard height CST744EG and CST744SG
or the taller round CST453CEFG Drake II

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Just to follow up on Terry's post -- I can't speak to the height or round/elongated availability issue, but I have 3 Totos w Sanigloss. It is I suppose a good thing but doesn't seem to eliminate the need for an occasional brushing after you know what. I wouldn't worry too much about not having it.

I do like the Toto brand in terms of flushing ability and probably will never buy another brand (should the need arise).

JayPlumb

Reaction score
Thanks for responses!

It looks like will have to see how much we need extra space or like lower height. Considering both those things are more immediate comfort and functional concerns... They will likely win over.

I appreciate the insight on ones with Sanigloss, Terry. It's good to know it is still good without. And Steve, good to know I'm not missing out on some never clean cure.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Whether you need a brush depends very much on your diet! The fancy glaze does clean up easier...it is substantially smoother than a 'normal' glaze. Think about a freshly waxed car...it still gets bug splatters, but they're easier to get off.

Comfort height is still lower than most dining room chairs. Depending on the toilet you select, an elongated bowl isn't necessarily longer from the wall than some round ones, and it's easier to fit some of the dangling parts into!

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
FWIW, we have a couple of toilets with and a couple of toilets without. The CEFIONTECT makes things a little nicer in-between cleanings, but we brush weekly anyway with some Clorox toilet bowl cleaner, and the ones without CEFIONTECT don't stand out as needing more service in-between cleanings.

I think that you will find that you are happier in the long run purchasing the height and style that you prefer. One of the Totos that I put in is a round, regular-height Original Drake without CEFIONTECT (CST743S), and it turns out to be the most-used toilet in the house, just as a function of the location of the particular bathroom that it is in. (I didn't realize this until everybody started commenting on it after I installed it.) It works wonderfully, and every once in a while -- even 5 years after installing it -- someone comments on what a good idea it was to replace the old toilet with it. To me, that's a huge endorsement.

If I were doing it again today, I would go for the optional ST743EN tank, because it does look nifty (and wasn't available back then). But the original tank has melded well with the decor in our two bathrooms in which I installed Drakes (the other is an elongated); even though the decor is more-ornate than the toilet, the toilet fits the decor very nicely.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks