Toto G400 and 14"+ Rough? Creative suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

jsceva

Reaction score
We are thinking of switching out a Toto Lloyd for a G400, but its an old building with the rough at about 15 inches from the finished wall. To slightly complicate things, the Lloyd was for some reason installed without using the 14" unifit, so its really far from the wall and I can't tell exactly what distance the center of the rough is without removing the toilet, which I am trying to avoid doing until absolutely necessary.

Anyone have any suggestions for the best way to minimize distance from the wall? Unifits obviously not an option for the G400...I do see that the installation guide that you can download from the Totousa.com website ( https://www.totousa.com/filemanager_uploads/product_assets/THU9911_MS920CEMFG_G400_IM_0GP224.pdf ) shows it coming with a 400mm adaptor (page 14, Part A-1b), but even if that was short enough (unlikely) I have been told it doesn't actually come with the US model and isn't available separately, its certainly not on the parts diagram for the model. Can someone confirm that for me? More generally, does anyone have any suggestion for minimizing the gap?

I know I could do a Washlet+ model with 14 inch unifit, but we want to go integrated/tankless.

One other option, potentially - old install manuals for Inax Satis show it as coming with an adjustible drain socket you cut to length - anyone know if that is true/available for the rebranded ones now being sold in the USA by American Standard/DXV, or if they are available separately or would fit?

Other suggestions also welcome...

g400-install-12.jpg

G400 on a 12" rough
photo added by Terry Love

g400-adapter-spec.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
IIRC, the G400 uses every last thousandth-of-an-inch of a 12" rough-in, and will basically touch the wall on 12". That's not how most toilets are, so maybe the appearance on 14" won't be so awful.

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't know about a G440, but I wanted to point out that you can lift and restore a Unifit toilet easier than a non-unifit, because you don't disturb the wax when you lift the toilet.

You do disturb the caulk, and caulk is structural when you use a Unifit, to keep the front of the toilet from going left or right.

jsceva

Reaction score
Based on the specs, it would end up about 3/4 inch closer to the wall than the current setup, so that's better than nothing I guess...still over twice the gap as the Lloyd with the correct adapter, though, and the toilet itself is 1/2 inch longer so it will end up taking up almost the same space. Its a tiny half bath, so I was excited to finally get back a couple of inches of length if possible. But if not, I guess it won't be a disaster . . . will still be better than what I have now.

Reach4

Reaction score
If you have a spare 3 inches of space behind the tank with the Lloyd, you could move it back toward the wall that 3 inches.

I have a rough-in that is a tad over 13 inches. I had thought it was more like 13-5/8 before pulling the old toilet, so I had bought a 14 inch Unifit for it. I ended up doing a modification. I could have used the 12 inch Unifit or the 14, but since the 14 had resale value, I used the 12.

This is a marked up photo of my install....

index.php

If you did the same thing with a 14 inch Unifit, you could get that Lloyd right where you want it. You would have to drill the 4 holes through the tile, however. If you do as I did and add two more holes that are probably not needed, then that would total to 6.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks