TOTO fill valves

Users who are viewing this thread

leon wieler

Reaction score
I researched toto thoroughly before purchasing and am very pleased. One difficulty is that toto cut costs by replacing the korky fill valve with a made in china version that was not as reliable and not rebuildable. I called my local toto parts rep and he stated that toto had now abandoned the china version and went back to Korky. Unfortunately there may still be china versions on the shelves. I insisted that I get the toto with the korky valves and my supplier assured me that they were. Could I have a picture of both to make sure?

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
They originally had the Korky and changed to the one with the white adjustment screw on the top and had a lot of problems with them.

They then switched back to Korky but now went back again to the one with the white adjustment screw on top.

I was told by Toto these have be redesigned and work now.

I'm not sure what your rep was told but i would call Toto direct because that's not what i've been told and when i order the TSU07A-5 (Korky) I get the TSU17A (white adjustment screw)

leon wieler

Reaction score
If Toto went back to the china version with the white screw did they redesign it so that it could be rebuilt or is it still throw away? And/or is the new model with the white screw made by Korky? Are there any distinguishing features of the old model with the white screw and the new model with the white screw? Perhaps just abandoning the toto valves might be best and replace them with fluid master. I rebuilt all the toilets in my 36 suite apartment block with these valves 4 years ago and have had no difficulty (though the toilets perform poorly in the flushing department despite being water hogs). And fluid master is relatively inexpensive and they are, in theory, rebuildable but as yet I have not touched them. They are also available in local big box stores and your local parts supplier can order them for you by the case and save money that way too.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Part of the design of the Toto fill valve is the bowl replenishment rate.
There is a difference between the regular korky and the Toto.

leon wieler

Reaction score
That is a good point I had not considered. The 4.8 litre drake fills its tank amazingly quickly compared to the 13 litre toilets and with a replacement fluidmaster fill valve the bowl of the eco drake may not get enough water which in turn would impact the flush performance. Thanks, good advice.

I checked my drakes and they have the fill valve with the white screw and I guess I am stuck with them. I assume the problem with these valves is that they leak despite being shut off? Any experience with the new valves and how they perform? Are they rebuildable? Any distinguishing marks between old and new?

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
You can't beat a Korky fill valve and flapper. If it didn't come with these, I'd go out and buy them.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
While a Korky valve will work, Toto had them customized (changed the restritor) to get the tank/bowl fill rates come out so there's little if any water loss down the drain. A stock vavle will still work, but dump more water in the bowl, and therefore waste some before the tank gets filled.

Tso1ab

Reaction score
They originally had the Korky and changed to the one with the white adjustment screw on the top and had a lot of problems with them.

They then switched back to Korky but now went back again to the one with the white adjustment screw on top.

I was told by Toto these have be redesigned and work now.

I'm not sure what your rep was told but i would call Toto direct because that's not what i've been told and when i order the TSU07A-5 (Korky) I get the TSU17A (white adjustment screw)

What’s the difference between Korky fill valves TSU07A-5 and 528T? Apparently Korky TSU07A-5 was (perhaps is) the factory installed valve. And Korky 528T is the recommended replacement valve. Both are available on the web. Are they the same?

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
What’s the difference between Korky fill valves TSU07A-5 and 528T? Apparently Korky TSU07A-5 was (perhaps is) the factory installed valve. And Korky 528T is the recommended replacement valve. Both are available on the web. Are they the same?

The TSU07A-5 is Toto's product number and the Korky 528T is the same unit with Korky's part number.

If you try to get from Toto they will send you the TSU17A and that unit is not repairable.

Micp879

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, is there a certain company who makes the newer style fill valves (with the white adjustment screw)? Ive noticed identical fill valves in some other brand toilets as well. Korky makes the older style ones, so I was just kind of wondering if there was a certain company that made the newer ones.