Toilets constantly running continuously

Users who are viewing this thread

Boyblue

Reaction score
12 low income apartments and we are constantly fixing running water from toilets. These toilets are all contractor grade with trip lever, chain, ballcock & flapper. I'm wondering there is a system that is more trouble free or if there is a way to set things up so the chain doesn't get caught in the flapper.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Toilets (also called water closets) from any reputable mfr will never run unless flapper is deteriorated from age and the rubber breaks down.
Fill mechanism, called ballcock valve: The primary good common brands are Fluidmaster and Korky.
There are high end quality toilets that use special Fluidmaster pressure vessel assist, but it is not really necessary to go that route, though, highly recommended for flush action.
Properly adjusted chain on a quality flapper will NEVER hang up.
Toto makes a contractor grade toilet called Entrada that are around $200. on mainland. American Standard Cadet 3 also excellent.

Reach4

Reaction score
Try for only one link or so worth of slack. There needs to be some slack, but very little.

Also, you may need to bend the rod to make the chain pull pretty much straight up vs off to the side.

Boyblue

Reaction score
Toilets (also called water closets) from any reputable mfr will never run unless flapper is deteriorated from age and the rubber breaks down.
Fill mechanism, called ballcock valve: The primary good common brands are Fluidmaster and Korky.
There are high end quality toilets that use special Fluidmaster pressure vessel assist, but it is not really necessary to go that route, though, highly recommended for flush action.
Properly adjusted chain on a quality flapper will NEVER hang up.
Toto makes a contractor grade toilet called Entrada that are around $200. on mainland. American Standard Cadet 3 also excellent.
Thank you for your response. I've been thinking that my issue was mechanical and in a sense it is, but it's not the product but the installer that may need to be changed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks