Toilet Rough-In Position - Am I wrong?

Users who are viewing this thread

TipsMcStagger

Reaction score
I gutted my 30+ year old guest bathroom. The house had been replumbed through the attic with CPVC prior to my ownership because of a slab leak. I hired a plumber to replace the CPVC in the attic with PEX and to rough-in the gutted bathroom, including setting the tub.

I framed out one wall in order to make the rough width of the room 60", so as to fit a standard tub and to provide more space in the wall for the plumbing drop from the attic. The rough with of the room had been about 62".

When I told the plumber my plan, he pointed out that he'd have to relocate the toilet rough-in further from the wall (about 2"), in order to keep the proper spacing. Relocating the toilet rough-in was part of the agreed-to pricing for the job. The rough-in is set in the concrete slab.

During our initial meeting, I explained to the plumber that I was thinking of buying a Kohler Archer tub. The plumber replied that it was overkill for a guest bath and suggested I buy an off-the-shelf Sterling tub from the local home center. He pointed out several times that Sterling is made by Kohler.

After completing the job, I discovered the center of the toilet rough-in was only 12" from the tub. I called the plumber and explained the predicament. He asked for the width of the tub. I told him it's 32" wide. He replied that most tubs are 30" (apparently, the old tub I removed was 30") and freely admitted "I didn't think to measure the width of the tub."

He went on to explain "that's why I don't like using fixtures supplied by the homeowner." I pointed out I bought the tub that he suggested I buy and the tub was 15' from where he was working, in an open box. He replied, "that's where the rough-in was." I told him we originally agreed he'd move the rough-in to the proper position. He said I paid him to move it further from the wall. I asked if he thought it was reasonable to expect that I'd hire him to move the rough-in to the wrong position?

He seemed somewhat incredulous at my expectation that he would come back to make it right. He was angry.

Am I wrong in expecting that a plumber would think to verify the width of the tub he'd be installing - regardless of who supplied said tub - prior to positioning the toilet rough-in?

Thanks.

Last edited:

TipsMcStagger

Reaction score
hj said:
If the tub was there, then would have expected him to measure it.

Yep...the tub was just outside the bathroom door, in the living room. Box open.

If had been aware of the lateral discrepancy, I might have said something. But then again, I'm typically leery of making such comments for fear of tradesman feeling I'm telling them how to do their job.

I hired a professional. I'd expect I wouldn't have to question such things. I don't see how he can put this on me. There's a right position and a wrong position. He placed it in the wrong position. How is that my fault?

Stuff

Reaction score
No sure about the math but even with a 30" tub it would be too close - needs 15"

TipsMcStagger

Reaction score
Stuff said:
Not sure about the math but even with a 30" tub it would be too close - needs 15"'

I'm not a plumber, so I could be wrong, but I don't believe 15" was code when the house was built in 1984 with the 30" tub. Regardless, I would think if you've gone through enough effort to break-up a slab, you'd take an extra 45 seconds to use a tape measure.

Reach4

Reaction score
Given that the tub is lower than your solders and elbows, and you only have 28 inches to work with, you may be better off with the flange being offset away from the wall, as you have it.

If the flange was 14 inches from the wall, that would feel more cramped.

Make sure to put the toilet paper dispenser where it will not crowd your knees.

Stuff

Reaction score
1984 code doesn't apply as this is new. What does your plumbing inspector say?

TipsMcStagger

Reaction score
Reach4 said:
Given that the tub is lower than your solders and elbows, and you only have 28 inches to work with, you may be better off with the flange being offset away from the wall, as you have it.

I'm not sure I'm following; the plumber I hired moved the toilet rough-in away from the (newly framed) back wall and it is now the correct distance from that wall. It is not however 15" laterally from the new tub.

Staff said:
1984 code doesn't apply as this is new. What does your plumbing inspector say?

Right. I know the 1984 code no longer applies. I was just offering an explanation as to why the math doesn't add-up. The previous installation was probably not 15" from the tub, because that wasn't the code in 1984. If 15" was the code in 1984, it somehow slipped by 30+ years ago.

The work was just completed the day before yesterday and has not yet been inspected. It will obviously fail as it is.

Reach4

Reaction score
I'm not sure I'm following; the toilet rough-in was moved away from the (newly framed) back wall and is now the correct distance from that wall. It is not however 15" laterally from the new tub.
This is about what you are faced with, right? 60 inches wide. 32 inch tub. Leaves a 28 inch space for the toilet at the floor level. But above the seat, there is plenty of space for your shoulders, and arms over the tub. So having the toilet centered 15 inches from the finished wall will be more comfortable than if the toilet were moved to the center of the 28 inches.

img_3.png

TipsMcStagger

Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification. I must have been unclear myself, or more specifically, I left out information. The toilet is not situated between the tub and a wall. It is situated between the tub and a vanity. The room was framed to be 60" along the long side of the tub.

There will be just over 30" between the vanity and the tub. As it is roughed-in now, the toilet will not be centered. It probably wouldn't bee too bad from a comfort perspective, as you point out, but it obviously will not pass inspection either.

I'm more questioning the plumbers' response when I brought this up, which was - "You want me to come back and move it for free?" I think he should have measured the tub and positioned it correctly in the first place. I'm not asking him to come back and move it for free. As far I'm I'm concerned, I already paid him to do the job correctly, which he did not do. I'm asking him to come back and do what he was hired to do.

Reach4

Reaction score
img_4.jpg

I can't help you with your actual question.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks