Users who are viewing this thread

Stacey Maud

Reaction score
My bathroom's being remodeled, and the plan was to move the toilet to a new location. After opening up the floor we realized the joists run in the wrong direction - and we'd have to extending the existing bulk head below to accommodate the move. Can anyone tell me - if I get a toilet that has rear plumbing as opposed to a floor drain, could I then run the plumbing through the wall rather than the floor?

Reach4

Reaction score
It's possible, if the wall is thick enough. A 3 inch PVC pipe is 3.5 inches outer diameter. That is 64% as wide as a "2x6", which is 5.5 inches wide. Things differ according to if a wall is load bearing. Rules differ by location.

I am not a pro.

Stacey Maud

Reaction score
Thanks so much for help and advise so far. I like the idea of widening the wall... I think it could be done. This is what they've done so far - but it's not in the location that was originally planned, and they're saying we'd have to extend the bulk head above the floor below (open plan dining room) to do the original move. Was hoping to find a way to get all the plumbing in the wall... even if we have to widen it a bit. It's not a load bearing wall. Is running the toilet drain behind the wall ok from a code/maintenance point of view and for good functioning of the toilet? (I feel like my contractors not giving me all the options)

Attachments

• toilet 1.jpg
    toilet 1.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 800
  • toilet 2.jpg
    toilet 2.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 527
  • toilet 3.jpg
    toilet 3.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 1,686
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks