Toilet Flange spacers

Users who are viewing this thread

1320ms

Reaction score
I've got a 2nd floor bathroom I'm remodeling where it was necessary to add a second layer of subfloor to reinforce the floor for tile, the contractor simply put the 2nd layer down around the existing toilet flange. I asked him about this, as with tile the toilet flange will sit about an inch below the flooring, he told me just to use a thicker wax ring.

I'm no plumber, but to me that sounds like a problem waiting to happen. Whats the correct way to go about this? The piping is 3" PVC, theres a 90 degree bend fairly close to the flange, close enough that I dont think I can cut the pipe from the inside and extend the flange up to sit on top of the tile.

Looking at adding spacers, local home improvement stores only have 1/4" spacers though. Is it ok to stack a few of these together, sealing with silicone between them? Obviously the best way to do it would be to move the flange all together, but whats the best alternative to that?

Thanks for the help

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Some people use these and stack them.

I would rather stack a couple of wax rings.
I've had the plastic flange extenders leak.
Unless you solidly silicone them together, it's just another place to leak.

I have used this "under" the flange to raise it, but that's normally on a new installation

http://www.siouxchief.com/Drainage/ResidentialDrainage/Closet-Flanges/Quick-Spacer.NHYLH

sioux_chief_w_spacer.jpg

Last edited:

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
I think that using one inch wax is asking for trouble, use the spacer.

I've been installing toilets for fifty years and the installs are always perfect.
Watch the video with my son doing the install. In the Seattle area, the closet flanges are installed at rough, with flooring cut around them. It's is common here, to either stack two wax rings, or use a thick ring. I get that in other parts of the country, they're confused by that. Don't be. We know what we are doing and installations last decades until they just decide they want something new.
Keep in mind, incomes in the Seattle are are higher than most of the country. And they expect the best and get it.
Terry Love

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks