Toilet flange help

Users who are viewing this thread

brooklynia373

Reaction score
My contractor installed a new tile floor in the bathroom. The new floor sits about 1" higher than the original flange. When I checked today, they had thinset over the entire original flange and left just a hole. I'm assuming they are going to ad a new flange at the new height and call it a day. Is this okay?

Thanks for the help,
Tom

Attachments

• IMAG0972[1].jpg
    IMAG0972[1].jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 139
Reaction score
Best case scenario is that they can use a toilet base plate that can fasten to the strong floor first, but no push-tite will be deep enough to grab onto the I.D. of that deep drain. It'll just hover over it, leaking sewage gas into your home.

They should NOT have covered up the old flange, which would have been helpful to attach flange extenders on.

There is NO solution to install a toilet flange on this INCORRECT job. All of it needs to be REMOVED.

Reach4

Reaction score
Is that thinset covering over the inside wall of a 3 inch PVC pipe?

brooklynia373

Reaction score
Okay, so I'll have them remove the thinset. Then they should attach a "flange extender"? Just so I understand... does the extender attach to the old flange or is it screwed into the floor? What about the bolts that stick up and attach to the toilet? Should those be extra long and coming up from the old flange, or do they come up from the new extender? A diagram of how things should work would be great.
Thanks again.

Reach4

Reaction score
Your tile guys have not demonstrated competence. Whatever they do, they are probably going to drop whatever they chip off down the drain.

I doubt that thinset is the right material for tile. Was that a guess?

You might see if Sioux Chief 887-GPM would fit well. http://www.siouxchief.com/docs/defa...nge-with-swivel-ring---pushtite.pdf?sfvrsn=10
I would probably smooth the inside of the pipe where the gasket would hit, and I would coat the pipe with pipe dope before inserting. I am not a pro.

You could also investigate these: http://brucoproduct.com/product-cat...loset-flange-replacement-compression-pvc.html or http://www.oatey.com/products/drains-and-closet-flanges/closet-flanges/replacement-closet-flange

I would rather have a metal ring, but these offer the advantage that it would be easy to replace if the ring got broken somehow. If you try that, take and post pictures. I don't remember pictures or reports being posted.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks