Toilet Flange Advice

Users who are viewing this thread

biggins

Reaction score
Hello experts,

I have done a good amount of bathroom gut and remodel on my own, and I have you folks to thank for some advice received on what I have already done. For example, I replaced my previous tub/shower drain line which was galvanized steel with PVC all on threads that I have read in this forum. It has certainly given me a higher appreciation for the amount of problems that plumbers rectify and how proper solutions last much longer.

The reason I am posting now is because I have come to a point where I can install tile and the toilet flange, however I'm not sure if I should install the flange on top of the tile. I have included some pictures of the current setup. I have used and installed Schluter Ditra for waterproofing and as a tile membrane. The previous toilet installation(which did not leak), was without a toilet flange. The toilet bolts were put into thickset and the wax ring was just put on top of this metal tube, which I'm thinking is a lead bend.

At this point I feel like I have the following options:
  1. Install the tile, and put a clam style toilet flange around the pipe. If it is lead I can peen it around the flange and then place a wax ring with the plastic funnel into the resulting hole.
  2. Install a clam style flange on top of the ditra and cut the tile around it. The advantage with this that I see is that I can pinch the flange underneath that "lip" on the pipe coming out of the floor. In that instance I can get a thicker wax ring in case it is needed. Should I then cut the top of the pipe off?
  3. Anything else provided by you experts.

I guess the main source of my confusion is coming from me not knowing what the heck this pipe is and the best way to provide a stable and leak free platform. I also would like to know if there's another flange I should investigate. Thank you for any advice you can provide. In the second picture you can see where this pipe interfaces with the cast iron main line, which I have access to from below but would rather not touch. This is not my forever home, but I do want to do things correctly.

20200615_141407.jpg
20200615_141435.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks