Time to rebuild or freshen Water Condtioner setup - what info do I need for setup?

Users who are viewing this thread

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
My home is on a well in central Florida. I have a water conditioner (chlorine injection) with softener that was installed in 2007 and "rebed" once (around 2010 or 2011). Now I am getting sulfur smell, and I think its time for service and maybe "rebed".
The original invoice lists:
1 Uni-Dose Pump w/tank
1) Grid Control
1) Mod 2510 C.F.
1) Mod 2510 W.S w/brine tank
1) Utizo Tank

My installer appears to have retired, so I'll be looking for new guy.
What information can I get now to make it easier for him to setup my system and use the proper/best filter media?

I just sent a water sample to National Testing Labs (water taken from Well before equipment).

I believe there is some test/info needed regarding how much water flow I have (like how long to fill a 5 gallon bucket) or such.
Is there anything else I need to know/provide to the water system guy?

Bannerman

Reaction score
Your original invoice listing does not provide much clarification.

You may wish to post some photos and a description of the various devices including the tank dimensions. Include the results of your water test and a description of your water usage requirements and your well setup. Also potentially useful would be the various settings that had been utilized including the amount of chlorine injected, the filter backwash settings and the softener programming.

The Mod 2510 W.S. appears to be a softener with a Fleck 2510 control valve but there is no mention of the softener's capacity. Since a second Mod 2510 is also indicated, it can be assumed it is for a filter but again, there is no indication of the media or the media quantity that is contained.

C.F. often signifies cubic feet but since no number is indicated, is that 3/4, 1, 1.5, 2 or 2.5 cubic feet of media? The tank dimensions will help us to determine the tank capacity.

You mentioned that something was 'rebed' in 2010 or 2011. What was rebed and what media and quantity was replaced? That info should have been specified on the invoice.

Reach4

Reaction score
Also, do you smell chlorine? Do you use up chlorine?
Is the sulfur smell mainly from the hot water, or cold water too?
I would get low-range chlorine test paper strip.
Post a picture that shows the system.

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Thanks for your advice, Reach.
I'll get more info tomorrow. I'll measure tank diameter and heights.
I think the "C.F." means "Carbon Filter" on my receipt.

I do not smell chlorine, but I know it is being injected because I can see the chlorine tank level drop over time. I can take a reading of chlorine level with my Pool water test kit. Good idea. Should I see any chlorine in the drinking water - or would carbon filter have removed it all by time it gets to faucet?

The sulfur smell is on both the hot and cold water.

I can't find the receipt from when it was rebed.

I did get hold of the original installer. He's coming out next Thursday. He thinks the problem is most likely due to Chlorine system (pump bad, etc.). However I know the pump is working because I can see the injection hose pulsating and the chlorine level drops. Maybe the dose needs to be changed.
I'll find out on Thursday.

Thanks again.

Reach4

Reaction score
I do not smell chlorine, but I know it is being injected because I can see the chlorine tank level drop over time. I can take a reading of chlorine level with my Pool water test kit. Good idea. Should I see any chlorine in the drinking water - or would carbon filter have removed it all by time it gets to faucet?
Activated carbon filter should remove the chlorine, but the media does not last forever. The backwashing carbon filter also removes things precipitated by the chlorine.The chlorine should react with H2S and remove that too.

There should be a contact tank/ holding tank or some other way to let the chlorine have time to act.

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Here's a look at what I have now.

The black tanks are 10" in diameter and 55" tall. The white drum (far left) is for the chlorine, the black drum (far right) is the brine tank

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
Maybe paint the PVC to protect it from the sun.

It is good that your softener tank and carbon tanks are painted to keep algae from growing in the sunlight. The contact tank should be safe from algae growth. I don't know if UV would be detrimental to the unpainted fiberglass tank.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I don't know if UV would be detrimental to the unpainted fiberglass tank.
I know Corvettes, aircraft, boats, and doors all are adversely affected by sunlight, and there are several coatings specifically formulated for protection. Don't see why a tank would be any different. Some composite structures even specify colors for their coatings.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
A simple spray can of paint does wonders for the fiberglass tanks. They get nasty after a few years of sun exposure. Especially the natural one. I would avoid giving it a big hug...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks