Thin wall couplings

Users who are viewing this thread

DX

General Contractor
Reaction score
Does Fernco (or anyone else) make a flex coupling for 4" thin wall (sewer & drain, ASTM D2729) PVC pipe? I can't find any in their listings but they are a bit awkward to navigate so I may have missed them.
I don't care if they have metal jacket or not. Thanks.

Last edited:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Fernco 3009-44 is an above grade, shielded coupling for 4" Thinwall (4.16" coupling ID) to 4" Schedule 40 (4.44" coupling ID).

I've never found a 4" thinwall to 4" thinwall rubber coupling; the last time I had to do this, I used a regular schedule 40 to schedule 40 coupling, and used solvent weld S&D to Schedule 40 bushings on the 4" S&D pipe (SDR35) to increase the OD from 4.25" to 4.5". A bell end of 4" S&D pipe is also 4.5" and will work

For below grade work, I think alot of people just use a 4" Schedule 40 to 4" Schedule 40 coupling and crank down on the bands, but that doesn't sit quite right with me. Should work fine, though.

Cheers, Wayne

Reach4

Reaction score
New product works with a big range of pipe ODs, but I don't find anybody who carries it that I have dealt with: Fernco Hulk 4.

https://www.fernco.com/hulk-coupling

https://www.consolidatedsupply.com/Product/1538938 does list it-- call for pricing. Others have references to it... I presume it is still being introduced.

xlarge_HulkFamilyPhoto.png.pagespeed.ic.7fqdlCaP1K.webp

I would be tempted to use Fernco 3009-44 4" Thinwall PL to 4" Sch. 40 PL or Mission TWP-44 despite the restriction. I am not a plumber. I don't think they used to specify those for above ground only. I wonder what the failure mechanism was that make them restrict those to above ground.

Last edited:

DX

General Contractor
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Those Hulk couplings look very nice but the only place I found them online the price is $185. Ouch! I will call Fernco tomorrow, they are in my area.