Thermostatic mixing valve plus expansion tank both at water heater... what's wrong with my configuration?

Users who are viewing this thread

Eric Padraic

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm trying to troubleshoot a thermostatic mixing valve that's installed directly at the domestic hot water heater outlet, but which is not giving the desired temp. This is the first time we've installed these valves along with a thermal expansion tank as part of the same install, and I'm wondering if that might somehow be making this valve misbehave. Previous installs have been in a jurisdiction with an open municipal water system, but this project is in a different city and we thought the building may have a check valve at the street, so we installed the expansion tank.

The first valve worked for about 24 hours, then the water temp dropped at the fixtures. The tank was still piping hot (145F at the top). Cold water is at around 60F. I thought it might be a faulty valve, so I swapped out the first one with another of the same model (Resideo Braukmann AM-1), but after a day this next one also started providing water temps too low. Even when turned fully to the maximum TMV valve "145F" setting, the water temps at the fixtures are 115F, while the tank temperature is still around 145F. What the heck could be causing this? I'm at my wit's end trying to figure out how to change this configuration to get the desired temp at the fixtures. What am I missing here?

This is for a heat pump water heater, so the tank temp is stratified, with cold (65F) at the bottom, and hot (145F) at the top. I ran all the diagnostics on the water heater compressor and everything looks to be working perfectly, and I can tell the water in the tank seems to be the right temp (scalding water comes out when I bleed some off the T&P valve), so I think it's an issue that arises at the thermostatic mixing valve.

Your thoughts, corrections, and/or wisdom appreciated!

Ricko

Attachments

• IMG_3815 showing TMV configuration.jpg
    IMG_3815 showing TMV configuration.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 96

rural_engineer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Is your hot water precipitating out something which is clogging the hot side of the valve? I have essentially the same setup, with HPWH, expansion tank, and AM-1 valve, and it doesn't have this problem.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm trying to troubleshoot a thermostatic mixing valve that's installed directly at the domestic hot water heater outlet, but which is not giving the desired temp. This is the first time we've installed these valves along with a thermal expansion tank as part of the same install, and I'm wondering if that might somehow be making this valve misbehave. Previous installs have been in a jurisdiction with an open municipal water system, but this project is in a different city and we thought the building may have a check valve at the street, so we installed the expansion tank.

The first valve worked for about 24 hours, then the water temp dropped at the fixtures. The tank was still piping hot (145F at the top). Cold water is at around 60F. I thought it might be a faulty valve, so I swapped out the first one with another of the same model (Resideo Braukmann AM-1), but after a day this next one also started providing water temps too low. Even when turned fully to the maximum TMV valve "145F" setting, the water temps at the fixtures are 115F, while the tank temperature is still around 145F. What the heck could be causing this? I'm at my wit's end trying to figure out how to change this configuration to get the desired temp at the fixtures. What am I missing here?

This is for a heat pump water heater, so the tank temp is stratified, with cold (65F) at the bottom, and hot (145F) at the top. I ran all the diagnostics on the water heater compressor and everything looks to be working perfectly, and I can tell the water in the tank seems to be the right temp (scalding water comes out when I bleed some off the T&P valve), so I think it's an issue that arises at the thermostatic mixing valve.

Your thoughts, corrections, and/or wisdom appreciated!

Ricko
Can you disassemble the mixing valve?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks