The Search Saga or What's up with not being able to meet the requests of the customer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Beth W.

Reaction score
Relax, have a glass of milk and a cookie, this is a long one...

Hi, this is Beth W. from the thread on April 17th. "Too Much Water Treatment for Well Water Results?" Karlabs:
Calcium 46.3 mg/L,
Manganese 0.189 mg/L
Iron 0.38 mg/L
Sulfur, total, by ICP 5.4 mg/L
Alkalinity (CaCO3) 194 mg/L
Hardness 167 mg/L and 9.7 grains per gallon
PH 7.8
Sulfate 15 mg/L
Turbidity 3.31 NTU
Total Dissolved Solids 290 mg/L
No nitrates, nitrites, arsenic or lead. No bacteria.
Water has sulfur smell.

Also: Hot water heater needs to be replaced and will get a powered anode for it. http://www.waterheaterrescue.com/OrderPages/Powered-Anode-FAQ.html

One recommendation from Dittohead was that we could try a Katalox Light filter + water softener and leave room to add hydrogen peroxide injection+ contact tank if needed. The first recommendation was to use hydrogen peroxide injection +contact tank+ Katalox Light Filter +water softener from the start. My sister wanted to try the simpler suggestion, based on cost, then expand if needed.

Additional information: the new water softener has to be installed in a different location in the cellar than the old one so it meets code. Extra piping is involved in the job and putting in an electrical outlet is needed. House is about 150 years old.

My sister can't find a water treatment company or a plumber/plumbing company in the Binghamton, NY area (Broome County), so far, who is willing and able to install what was recommended above. My sister showed the KarLab results to each company who gave her an estimate. She listened to the test results they came up with first. Also no company, plumbing or water treatment, evaluated the water for amount and type of sediment.

1 and 2. Two companies we looked into in the area sell either Kinectco or Culligan products so they are out since we're looking for Clack or Fleck valves.

3. One highly regarded water treatment company, "B", uses MTM with hydrogen peroxide injection. The good thing is that they use Clack valves. The bad thing is that they use hydrogen peroxide with MTM. The owner refused to consider using Katalox Light (to remove iron, manganese, sulfur and sediment) instead of MTM. He said he has used his method for many years and is qualified to know what is best. Seemed insulted when we asked why he used hydrogen peroxide instead of the recommended chlorine injection and potassium permanganate with MTM. Gave him the link with the information. I emailed Clack Corp. later to verify. http://www.clackcorp.com/downloads/ion_exchange_resin_and_filter_media/mtm_2353.pdf
Ignored my suggestion to call you, dittohead, and discuss Katalox Light usage. I did give him your phone number.

We were looking forward to hiring "B" as they are familiar with the 100+ year old houses in our area and our wells. This company was the only one to bring up the need for an electrical outlet in the new location and to point out that a "handyman" had installed the Whirlpool whole house sediment filter incorrectly and unsafely. Good points in their favor!

He was the only person to recommend the use of Iron Out and resin cleaner with the water softener. Are they needed when you use Katalox Light? ____________

We asked "B" to substitute Katalox Light for the MTM. No. And to hold off on the hydrogen peroxide + contact tank for now. Just leave room for it. No :( Their quote for the whole shebang, to include everything, was around $4,200. What we asked for would be less.

4. A plumber, "Z", from a well- established plumbing company that uses Fleck valves went to my sister's house to do an estimate. He took off the toilet tank lid and said she had Iron Bacteria. It's Sulfur Bacteria based on what we've observed and read. http://www.chemtechford.com/ironbacteria.html Could be both. After his water testing he gave her a verbal estimate. The cost was $7,300 (!) for chlorine injection, retention tank, water softener and GAC filter.
He wouldn't give her a written estimate unless she said yes right then! :eek: He said it was a busy time of year. She said she'd think about it. My sister was so surprised at "Z's" attitude she didn't bring up the use of Katalox Light with or without hydrogen peroxide injection.

5. On to a very nice plumber,"S", who recommended a 1 cu.ft. Sterling water softener (has a Fleck valve, I think) to be installed in a new location, per code, with all the necessary piping the move entails and to move the whole house sediment filter to a new location. His quote was $1760. He did some water testing and was shown the KarLabs results.
No mention of a filter to remove iron, manganese, sulfur, etc.
No mention of chlorine or hydrogen water injection or contact tanks.
No mention of which new sediment filter he would use.
No recommendation for Iron Out or resin cleaner for the water softener.
o_O
In his emailed estimate "S" also give us a quote, as requested, for a new oil fired hot water heater and for removing an old wood burning stove. Obviously he was not focused on the well water test results for water treatment.

On behalf of my sister, I sent him an email thanking him for his estimate. I asked him about using a filter with Katalox Light based on our lab results and which resin they used in the water softener .
I asked if he was able to find the hot water heater my sister asked about. Bock oil-fired hot water heater, low boy style. His company sells Bradford White but he said he would ask around for a Bock.
No response from the email. I think my sister should follow up with a phone call.

From these examples we sense an "It's my way or the highway" attitude in some of them and a narrow scope of thinking, education, training and/or experience in water treatment options in all of them. We just need to find the right one for my sister.

How to get them to expand their knowledge base and to encourage them to try new products? To listen to and work with potential customers...more customers equals more money!

Can anyone recommend a company or an individual plumber in the Binghamton, NY (Broome County) area who can fulfill my sister's requests for water treatment?

Thank you and God Bless if you made it through to the end! :)

Beth W.

Reaction score
Relax, have a glass of milk and a cookie, this is a long one...

Hi, this is Beth W. from the thread on April 17th. "Too Much Water Treatment for Well Water Results?" Karlabs:
Calcium 46.3 mg/L,
Manganese 0.189 mg/L
Iron 0.38 mg/L
Sulfur, total, by ICP 5.4 mg/L
Alkalinity (CaCO3) 194 mg/L
Hardness 167 mg/L and 9.7 grains per gallon
PH 7.8
Sulfate 15 mg/L
Turbidity 3.31 NTU
Total Dissolved Solids 290 mg/L
No nitrates, nitrites, arsenic or lead. No bacteria.
Water has sulfur smell.

Also: Hot water heater needs to be replaced and will get a powered anode for it. http://www.waterheaterrescue.com/OrderPages/Powered-Anode-FAQ.html

One recommendation from Dittohead was that we could try a Katalox Light filter + water softener and leave room to add hydrogen peroxide injection+ contact tank if needed. The first recommendation was to use hydrogen peroxide injection +contact tank+ Katalox Light Filter +water softener from the start. My sister wanted to try the simpler suggestion, based on cost, then expand if needed.

Additional information: the new water softener has to be installed in a different location in the cellar than the old one so it meets code. Extra piping is involved in the job and putting in an electrical outlet is needed. House is about 150 years old.

My sister can't find a water treatment company or a plumber/plumbing company in the Binghamton, NY area (Broome County), so far, who is willing and able to install what was recommended above. My sister showed the KarLab results to each company who gave her an estimate. She listened to the test results they came up with first. Also no company, plumbing or water treatment, evaluated the water for amount and type of sediment.

1 and 2. Two companies we looked into in the area sell either Kinectco or Culligan products so they are out since we're looking for Clack or Fleck valves.

3. One highly regarded water treatment company, "B", uses MTM with hydrogen peroxide injection. The good thing is that they use Clack valves. The bad thing is that they use hydrogen peroxide with MTM. The owner refused to consider using Katalox Light (to remove iron, manganese, sulfur and sediment) instead of MTM. He said he has used his method for many years and is qualified to know what is best. Seemed insulted when we asked why he used hydrogen peroxide instead of the recommended chlorine injection and potassium permanganate with MTM. Gave him the link with the information. I emailed Clack Corp. later to verify. http://www.clackcorp.com/downloads/ion_exchange_resin_and_filter_media/mtm_2353.pdf
Ignored my suggestion to call you, dittohead, and discuss Katalox Light usage. I did give him your phone number.

We were looking forward to hiring "B" as they are familiar with the 100+ year old houses in our area and our wells. This company was the only one to bring up the need for an electrical outlet in the new location and to point out that a "handyman" had installed the Whirlpool whole house sediment filter incorrectly and unsafely. Good points in their favor!

He was the only person to recommend the use of Iron Out and resin cleaner with the water softener. Are they needed when you use Katalox Light? ____________

We asked "B" to substitute Katalox Light for the MTM. No. And to hold off on the hydrogen peroxide + contact tank for now. Just leave room for it. No :( Their quote for the whole shebang, to include everything, was around $4,200. What we asked for would be less.

4. A plumber, "Z", from a well- established plumbing company that uses Fleck valves went to my sister's house to do an estimate. He took off the toilet tank lid and said she had Iron Bacteria. It's Sulfur Bacteria based on what we've observed and read. http://www.chemtechford.com/ironbacteria.html Could be both. After his water testing he gave her a verbal estimate. The cost was $7,300 (!) for chlorine injection, retention tank, water softener and GAC filter.
He wouldn't give her a written estimate unless she said yes right then! :eek: He said it was a busy time of year. She said she'd think about it. My sister was so surprised at "Z's" attitude she didn't bring up the use of Katalox Light with or without hydrogen peroxide injection.

5. On to a very nice plumber,"S", who recommended a 1 cu.ft. Sterling water softener (has a Fleck valve, I think) to be installed in a new location, per code, with all the necessary piping the move entails and to move the whole house sediment filter to a new location. His quote was $1760. He did some water testing and was shown the KarLabs results.
No mention of a filter to remove iron, manganese, sulfur, etc.
No mention of chlorine or hydrogen water injection or contact tanks.
No mention of which new sediment filter he would use.
No recommendation for Iron Out or resin cleaner for the water softener.
o_O
In his emailed estimate "S" also give us a quote, as requested, for a new oil fired hot water heater and for removing an old wood burning stove. Obviously he was not focused on the well water test results for water treatment.

On behalf of my sister, I sent him an email thanking him for his estimate. I asked him about using a filter with Katalox Light based on our lab results and which resin they used in the water softener .
I asked if he was able to find the hot water heater my sister asked about. Bock oil-fired hot water heater, low boy style. His company sells Bradford White but he said he would ask around for a Bock.
No response from the email. I think my sister should follow up with a phone call.

From these examples we sense an "It's my way or the highway" attitude in some of them and a narrow scope of thinking, education, training and/or experience in water treatment options in all of them. We just need to find the right one for my sister.

How to get them to expand their knowledge base and to encourage them to try new products? To listen to and work with potential customers...more customers equals more money!

Can anyone recommend a company or an individual plumber in the Binghamton, NY (Broome County) area who can fulfill my sister's requests for water treatment?

Thank you and God Bless if you made it through to the end! :)
Oops...just realized Kinectco and Culligan water softeners might use Fleck valves.

Reach4

Reaction score
A powered anode might help significantly if the smell is the hot water. It will not help smell on the cold water.

1. A well and plumbing sanitizing might help both. http://www.terrylove.com/forums/ind...izing-extra-attention-to-4-inch-casing.65845/ is more intense than what most people do.

Either way, a 1 cuft softener would do it for one person and maybe 2.

in the area
What area is that? At the rates the two you mention charge, they can afford to travel a ways.

Oops...just realized Kinectco and Culligan water softeners might use Fleck valves.
1. No, and 2. is a proprietary valve, whoever makes it for them.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Some of these older dealers are hard to train. They get comfortable with a design and they refuse to even try new products. MTM is a good media, just a bit dated compared to modern medias. I am sure his design will work just fine but going directly against a manufacturers recommendation does completely remove the liability from the manufacturer should a problem occur.

Beth W.

Reaction score
Thanks for the information, Reach4. Will pass on the information about well sanitizing. Understand about the powered anode helping to take care of the smell for for hot water not cold. By" area" I meant the small villages and towns near Binghamton, NY, which is in Broome County. The plumber with the $7,300 quote just didn't want the job, I believe, so deliberately priced himself out of the job. Probably is busy and also may not like the hard work it takes to install equipment in the cellar of such an old house. Not easy getting equipment and supplies in and out.

Other pricing seemed high, too. Don't know why. It's not a high income city or county. Just the opposite. Would be nice to have the DIY skills and strength to install it ourselves! My sister will ask for referrals for plumbers at a plumbing supply place. She did call "S" (number 5 above) to follow up and left a message. They have not returned her call. It's been two weeks.

Thanks, dittohead, we just need to find the dealer who is open to change. Will keep looking. We don't want to risk using MTM with a product that is not recommended until more research is done and the results get published. Do you know of an East Coast distributor for Katalox Light; or a reliable online site?

Beth W.

Reaction score
Thanks for the information, Reach4. Will pass on the information about well sanitizing. Understand about the powered anode helping to take care of the smell for for hot water not cold. By" area" I meant the small villages and towns near Binghamton, NY, which is in Broome County. The plumber with the $7,300 quote just didn't want the job, I believe, so deliberately priced himself out of the job. Probably is busy and also may not like the hard work it takes to install equipment in the cellar of such an old house. Not easy getting equipment and supplies in and out.

Other pricing seemed high, too. Don't know why. It's not a high income city or county. Just the opposite. Would be nice to have the DIY skills and strength to install it ourselves! My sister will ask for referrals for plumbers at a plumbing supply place. She did call "S" (number 5 above) to follow up and left a message. They have not returned her call. It's been two weeks.

Thanks, dittohead, we just need to find the dealer who is open to change. Will keep looking. We don't want to risk using MTM with a product that is not recommended until more research is done and the results get published. Do you know of an East Coast distributor for Katalox Light; or a reliable online site?

Beth W.

Reaction score
My sister is still looking for a plumber but I did find out who distributes Bock Water Heaters for New York State. We will have a heating contractor or plumber order one and install it. Will post it on my water heater thread, too.

Bock Oil-fired Hot Water Heater distributor:
Home » Tools » Locate Reps » States » NY
www.altherm.com
255 Humphrey Street
Englewood, NJ 07631
Toll-free: (800) 258-4376 (NY & NJ only)
Phone: (201) 871-4400

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks