The most ridiculous toilet I havever seen. No trap, dry bowl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Robert Gift

Reaction score
When myvife and I visited her grandfather in her native Yantai, China, I noticed a slight odor of sewage in his bathroom.
(The smell was much more organic (biological) than what we smell here!) (They do not have the fancy chemical detergents that we have.)
The toilet has a dry bowl with outlet sloping down to the rear and into the 7.5? cm waste line.

Since there is no water pool, solid waste probably sticks to the dry bowl, necessitating more water used to flush or an additional flush.
And no water blocking sewer gasses.

Wish that I had taken a photof the ridiculous design.

Many Chinese keep water dripping into plastic basins to get "free" water because their water meters apparently cannot measure such a minuscule flow.
The water is clean but not potable. So every residence has a water dispenser. Maybe some have a filter but I did not.ice any.

Robert Gift

Reaction score
7.5 cm = 75 mm or 3 inch sounds kinda shitty in in China
Equivalentour typical 3-inch waste lines.
I could not believe that such a ridiculous design actuallyvent into production.
It may have been a one-piece toilet, like we have here, but I cannot remember - 20 years ago.

Wife say some Chinese now have filter to allow drink (tap) water.

Robert Gift

Reaction score
Wife say: "Glandfather die. 105!
Lidiculous toilet gone. Now good water toilet."
(Water in bowl)
"No bad smell."

"Cannot dlink pipe water."
(Water from the spigot still not potable.)

Last edited:

bingow

Reaction score
Considering economies, rural culture (etc) not so ridiculous when compared to one of my parent's earliest houses. A three holer, unheated, no water, no light, byo paper and fly swatter. 1945.

Robert Gift

Reaction score
This was an apartment building. 4th floor (Almost all non-rural Chinese live in apartment buildings. Very efficient!)
Amazing that such a ridiculous design could ever have gone into production.

In rural areas, they may have a common outhouse. The waste in a metal bucket is used as fertilizer.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Considering economies, rural culture (etc) not so ridiculous when compared to one of my parent's earliest houses. A three holer, unheated, no water, no light, byo paper and fly swatter. 1945.
My grandparents homesteaded in eastern Oregon.. there are photos from Dorthea Lange of their farm in the Library of Congress. When they arrived they dug large holes in the ground and placed a slightly raised sod covered roof over the top to survive the first year. Afterwards the farmhouse was built over the top of those holes which were converted to root cellars. Still outdoor plumbing for a while too. Just 2 generations removed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks