Tankless for each side of new build?

Users who are viewing this thread

econjon

Reaction score
Hi,

I've read a few of the posts on this fourm and seen some of the wise comments Dana has left. I have a feeling this may turn to a non tankless recommendation, but nonetheless I seek advice on my new build.

I have a two story 4000 sf house for a family of 5. On one side there is 2 full baths (1 tub), kitchen, and laundry. The max hot run from water heater to furthest bath is ~ 25', while the remainder fixtures are within 10'.

On the other side of the house, 40' over, I have master bath, jack n jill bath and half bath. The master bath will have a 2 headed shower but no side jets or tub. All fixtures are approx 20' away.

My idea is to put a Rheem RTGH-95DVLN on the Kitchen side and a Rinnai V75IN on the master bath side.

My questions are:
1) Should I opt for one larger unit with a recirculating line (e.g. rheem rtgh-rh11dvln)?
2) If using two units does it make sense to split them strategically, or is there a better idea?
3) Being in san diego, I assume a water softener is desired. Should I put one in for the entire home water supply? Or just the heater?
4) I am generically opposed to tanked water heaters as
  • a) we have very erratic schedules and will be gone multiple chunks of day
  • b)would like to not chew up the space in the laundry room (my only option)
  • c) would like to take use a hot water for long periods of time (eg. long sequential showers)
But given that, is there a better setup I should consider?

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Are any of those tubs a soaker tub or spa? (If yes, nominal volume =???)

What is the maximum BTU capacity of your gas meter?

What are the flow ratings of the heads on the dual-shower?

Slab on grade foundation?

Regarding the objections to tanks:
  • a) we have very erratic schedules and will be gone multiple chunks of day
So? What's the problem with that? Is the concern about standby loss? (They're pretty miniscule for a condensing tank.) Or maybe it's about something I'm not able to conjure...
  • b)would like to not chew up the space in the laundry room (my only option)
Fair enough. In a San Diego climate it could conceivably go on a pad outside, but that could have other objections. By the total amount of space taken up by a pair of tankless water heaters is comparable to that of a tank.
  • c) would like to take use a hot water for long periods of time (eg. long sequential showers)
At San Diego's temperate wintertime incoming water temperatures a smaller-burner (76,000 BTU/hr or higher) commercial condensing tank water heater would sustain a single 2.5-3 gpm shower 24/365 on the burner capacity alone, and would have lighting quick recovery after a tub fill or between showers compared to a typical 50 gallon atmospheric drafted residential unit. If the tank is sized for the biggest tub in the house it's not a problem until/unless filling multiple bathtubs at the same time.

The flow limitations of a tank is plumbing & water pressure, not burner size, and can fill the tub in half the time of a tankless. That's perhaps not a big deal for a standard ~35 gallon tub fill, but is an issue with soaker tubs & spas. At best a 199K condensing tankless is good for ~7 gpm at tub fill output temps at your wintertime incoming water temps.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks